Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars (General Discussion)
So, the re-shoots for Rogue One are definitely on, but were planned since before principal photography last year? Now that's odd.

Maybe it's a mix of they've been given the extra budget to shoot a few new things, plus some reshoots to add some levity. Either way, it should make one interesting special feature on the Blu-ray!
Jurassic Outpost founding member & news staff. Follow me on Twitter.
^As Jurassic fans, we know better than to expect anything interesting on blu-ray features. ;P

Kidding. Star Wars has done well so far under Disney with TFA blu-ray features.

As for the reshoots, it appears that they were planned all along, but I'm thinking that with all of this smoke, there is definitely some fire. I think these reshoots are more expansive than initially intended. They've brought in Tony Gilroy to serve essentially as what was initially thought to be Christopher McQuarrie's role as a second director/screenwriter. He did some work with Edwards before on Godzilla, I believe, so it may not be too out of the ordinary.

But I think Disney is at least mildly concerned with the first cut, and though it's too early to panic, these reshoots are definitely more than just routine.
(06-01-2016, 05:27 PM)jobalexang Wrote:
(06-01-2016, 05:02 PM)JurassicParkPodcast Wrote:
(06-01-2016, 03:03 PM)jobalexang Wrote: Agreed. Does anyone read the books and comics related to Star Wars? Finished Bloodline last week and am working through the Vol. 2 Kanan trade paperback!

I started to read them, got through 'A New Dawn', 'Tarkin', 'Heir to the Jedi', and a few of the comics, but I've severely fallen behind. I intended to keep up with everything, but I think they have over-saturated the market with reading material. I think there's already been too many books and comics to keep up with.

Yeah, i would agree there. Wish they would send some of those books towards the Jurassic Park franchise. Haha.

I just caught up this year. If you have to choose just two more books to read, you should read Claudia Gray's "Lost Stars" and "Bloodline." So good.

Yea I plan on getting back to them shortly and I have heard really great things about "Lost Stars" & "Bloodline". I just wish they would slow down so I could catch up. I really don't want them to fall into the trap of the old EU. At some point it all gets too convoluted, which makes it very hard to follow. They just need to keep it simple.

That being said, I am super pumped for the Ahsoka novel coming down the pipeline. Ahsoka is my favorite character in the entire series, so anything they create with her is a must buy.
I totally agree. It's a bit too much... I wish they'd keep it at around 2 books a year.

The Ahsoka book will be fascinating. I wonder if it takes place during her years after the Empire takes over, or during the Clone Wars shortly after she leaves the order.
(06-06-2016, 03:34 PM)jobalexang Wrote: I totally agree. It's a bit too much... I wish they'd keep it at around 2 books a year.

The Ahsoka book will be fascinating. I wonder if it takes place during her years after the Empire takes over, or during the Clone Wars shortly after she leaves the order.

I'm pretty sure it takes place in between her time on Clone Wars and Rebels.
I never got much into the post-OT EU novels (I focused more on the PT novels when I was a kid), but the NEU novels interest me, particularly "Tarkin". The new Ahsoka book also intrigues me. Unfortunately, I can't find the time to ever read them, especially this summer as I'm trying to get some classic literature, like Hemingway, Steinbeck, Sinclair and Melville under my belt.
[Image: DWLUy3r.png]
Tarkin was pretty good as a character study. You really get into his head and understand his motivations. I found it a little slow to get through, but it depends and enriches what we see of him in A New Hope, Clone Wars, and Rebels, for sure.
My understanding of the rogue one reshoots is that the tone did not flow well with A New Hope, and the Rogue One ending is supposed to mesh well with the beginning of ANH. Apparently Rogue One is supposed to end roughly 5 minutes before ANH starts. Personally I don't agree with that. Rogue One is its one thing it's not supposed to be a sort of prequel to ANH. It's a war film which is something we haven't seen much of in star wars
(06-07-2016, 04:29 PM)Justin Wrote: My understanding of the rogue one reshoots is that the tone did not flow well with A New Hope, and the Rogue One ending is supposed to mesh well with the beginning of ANH. Apparently Rogue One is supposed to end roughly 5 minutes before ANH starts. Personally I don't agree with that. Rogue One is its one thing it's not supposed to be a sort of prequel to ANH. It's a war film which is something we haven't seen much of in star wars

There's really nothing to the whole reshoots thing anymore. It's all been shot down. They are doing reshoots, but nothing like the report first talked about. These are typical reshoots.

I'm content with it leading right up to ANH, only because the general outline of the plot is a direct predecessor to ANH. I'm very afraid for the characters though since we never see those characters again in ANH.
(06-07-2016, 04:29 PM)Justin Wrote: My understanding of the rogue one reshoots is that the tone did not flow well with A New Hope, and the Rogue One ending is supposed to mesh well with the beginning of ANH. Apparently Rogue One is supposed to end roughly 5 minutes before ANH starts. Personally I don't agree with that. Rogue One is its one thing it's not supposed to be a sort of prequel to ANH. It's a war film which is something we haven't seen much of in star wars

If true, then this could mean trouble. It's in the best hands it could be, but I thought these "spin-off" movies were supposed to carry their own style, perhaps feel a bit darker than the main Star Wars films. Now it's all going to be like Marvel, which will just get dull.

They chose Edwards because of his style, and now - according to the reports - they're removing his style. Shame.