Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JP Comics
Thought we needed a thread for the comics with a new line coming next year and to discuss the old ones. 

Pretty excited IDW is continuing the line next year, they are a great company with lots of talent and comics but sadly things didn't work out for JP the first time with them. The license says it'll be based on JW so we'll get stories based on that part of the timeline. I remember Tristan Jones pitched an idea that worked as a prequel to the movie but IDW turned it down. It'd be great to get that made but who knows, I'd also like to see a story dealing with the other hybrids that we saw in the game/books/toys which sort of Expanded the Universe. It'd also be nice to get new trades for the Topps series, the old ones apparently had worse paper than the original Topps trades from the 90s and not only did they compile them in odd order, they never finished TLW and didn't print the covers which were great.

It's been a while but since I've read them but here is a brief summary and a checklist:
Topps:
Jurassic Park #0-4
Ok, adaptation of the movie; nothing special except for #0 which tells a neat story leading to the events.

JP: Raptor #1-2, Raptor Attack #1-4, Raptor Hijack #1-4
Basically a ten part story divided to have various "#1"s, it continues where JP left off and tells a weird story of trained raptors and a trip of the cast to South America. It's weird but surprisingly decent.

Return to JP #1-9
First 8 issues tell another story that continues from the first movie, starts strong but the mystery is never solved and seemed to be going towards a more mystical approach which doesn't fit the franchise. Last issue is a collection of stories and they're all great.

JP:Annual #1
A collection of stories and they were pretty good from what I remember.

The Lost World: JP #1-4
Ok, adaptation of the movie like the original one but it has the bonus of including the deleted scenes.

IDW:
JP: Redemption #1-5
Awesome concept and set-up but terrible execution and art ruin the majority of the story.

JP: The Devils in the Desert #1-4
A more basic story, it doesn't get too complicated but gets the job done.

JP: Dangerous Games #1-5
Haven't read this one yet.

Comic Book Author/Artist Tristan Jones, was adapting the original Jurassic Park novel into comic form in his blog but the project is on hiatus for an indefinite time.

The old ones while cheesy, they definitely feel like a product of its time and gave us more of what we wanted as a direct sequel before TLW. The IDW comics for the most part were misses with little redeeming factors. It was sad to see the license wasted and quickly cancelled when the company is known to make great comics. I still remember when they were announced along the new toyline in 2009 and new logo it felt like a revival of the property with endless. The story I was most looking forward to was a prequel story which never made it.

Continuity:
Technically all stories take place in their own universe, even IDW mentioned that's what they were going for and even the Topps books never reference any previous story. However they don't really contradict each other in major ways so I like to think of them all in a "Comic" Universe. The Topps comics don't have any major contradictions and while I don't remember RtJP ever mentioning the Raptors incident it's not a big problem. A bigger problem is that Muldoon survives the Raptor attack of the first movie, however the comic adaptation actually shows the panel being a little more graphic and makes it even more difficult to understand how he survived it. TLW adpatation includes the deleted scenes which while cool it mentions how Muldoon died, this can be explained however that he died on another incident in JP, maybe in the conclussion to RtJP which we never got but we can just assume that things got resolved somehow. The IDW universe never mentions JP///, only the first two films which were adapted into comics so it works out since we never had a comic adaptation of JP/// and nothing really contradicts anything that happened in the Topps comics. Devils in the Desert takes palce in the desert which you can just see it as an event that happened after/during redemption since that took part in Texas. My memory might be a bit hazy on some details but these are the things I can recall, so you can enjoy your JP Comic universe we have so far.
I really hope we see the 90s set reprinted as a gigantic Omnibus. The prices for them now are outrageous.
Still no news on this... Huh I hope we get some news sooner rather than later...I've actually never read a Jurassic Park comic before (the above list was very helpful, so thanks, BTW Smile), so the thought of a series–ongoing or mini–gets me pretty psyched. Hopefully they stick to the 2017 release plan and don't make us wait until Jurassic World 2...
JP Redemption is a guilty pleasure of mine. I know the art is ugly and everything with Ludlow was ridiculous but I still kinda like it.

That comic had potential but ugly art and a lot of continuity errors with the films makes it pretty bad. It was in a lot of ways like those "Carnosaur" films, they are so bad they are enjoyable.
When is the JW comic going to be released?
(03-22-2017, 08:09 PM)FanboyBen Wrote: Still no news on this... Huh I hope we get some news sooner rather than later...I've actually never read a Jurassic Park comic before (the above list was very helpful, so thanks, BTW Smile), so the thought of a series–ongoing or mini–gets me pretty psyched. Hopefully they stick to the 2017 release plan and don't make us wait until Jurassic World 2...

Quote:Dr. WuWhen is the JW comic going to be released?

We don't know, I'm guessing since we've gotten no news is they'll wait until comic con which is in july to announce their plans with JW.
Will it make the 2017 release date? unsure but solicitations for comics are out 3 months in advance so  if they were announced today we wouldn't see them until August and I don't think they'll be announced this month so If they come out this year it's likely fall at the earliest. 

They may just be waiting until 2018 so there's more hype for the movie to help it so maybe January could see the release of the first comic with hype of the movie since we would have a trailer by then and that way by the time it's june they'll have enough issues to release a Trade Paper Back collecting the first issues and it would be easier to get more fans. Maybe it's even Universal that's making them hold back the release since the new comics were supposed to take place before JW2, maybe the comics have the title of the new movie so they have to wait until it's officially revealed? Who knows..

(05-03-2017, 09:42 PM)Dr. Wu Wrote: JP Redemption is a guilty pleasure of mine. I know the art is ugly and everything with Ludlow was ridiculous but I still kinda like it.

That comic had potential but ugly art and a lot of continuity errors with the films makes it pretty bad. It was in a lot of ways like those "Carnosaur" films, they are so bad they are enjoyable.
JP redemption had such potential, you had Tim who wanted to revive the park and this was years before JW so to see the park rebuilt was awesome and something we all wanted to see not to mention the first new JP media since 2003! The covers were also awesome...

but the art was indeed horrible and the comic was poorly written even without the Ludlow part. A shame.
Yeah JP: Redemption was a tragedy but I still kinda love it. It's my biggest love/hate relationship.

Yesterday I found my Redemption comic (which I haven't seen in years) and it was still in good condition.