Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jurassic Park Script - Michael Crichton - Draft 01/19/91
I'm not sure if they'll ever publish unfinished or early versions of the final novel. I think most artists wouldn't enjoy their tries (and failures) be available for everyone to read.

As a fan, I'd be most interested to get a look at other drafts, but I fully understand we might never see any of the sort.

This script is absolute gold! It goes to show how the final film's build-up is much better; this feels a little rushed so far, and it incorporates a lot of material from the books that might not be of true interest for filmgoers. Being a fan I love it though, it's rich in details and dialogue!
Oh, definitely. It's such a different version of what we could have had, and it has plenty of strengths and weaknesses. From what I know of the other Crichton revisions, those too have some very interesting differences that I hope to come across.
At least one script (not sure if this was by Crichton himself) saw Malcolm's character omitted, all his babble about Chaos Theory and the pending failure of the park given to Grant's.
Oh yes, that script (which has been around for at least over a decade) was Maria Scotch Marmo's draft, which was done directly after Crichton was finished. You can view it here. I find it odd how it still credits the draft as Crichton's when it is clear that Marmo's rewrite is almost nothing like it, including the omission of Malcolm as you mentioned. I know a lot of people actually have been confused that this is a Crichton draft, but one only needs to read The Making Of Jurassic Park to get the story that it really is not.

However, I do know certain ideas from Crichton's draft were carried over, like the T-Rex attacking the chopper at the end. It is NOT in the draft revision I am showcasing in this thread, but according to notes, it is in a latter one (likely his last one) due to the suggestion by Rick Carter and others, I believe.
Page 36:

Page 37:

Page 38:

Page 39:

Something else that stood out to me; in the novel, the first dinosaurs Grant and company see are the Apatosaurs. In this script, the introduction is the presentation by Regis rather than wowing the guests by confronting them with a living animal. And much like in the novel, all the dinosaurs come into full view as soon as the tour drives past them (and even the Velociraptors are shown off right away!).

In the film this is cleverly switched around by having them meet the Brachiosaurus first and then being told how the dinosaurs were created. The first part of the film we barely see any dinosaurs, baby Velociraptor and sick Triceratops aside. Another clever choice, keeping the cards up the sleeve for as long as possible.
Agreed, Neelis. I think the introduction to the dinosaurs in this version of the script is rather weak. The audience wants to be blown away by the presence of the dinosaur -- and experience the characters being surprised by their existence -- first, and then learn how they did it... not attend a lecture about them first and then be waiting to actually see them. The brachiosaurus reveal is much more powerful the way it was shot in the movie. Satisfied with seeing that, the audience is then ready to listen to a little science talk for a while.

Would have been cool to see many dinosaurs so early in the story as this script suggests, but I think they have more impact on screen when you finally see them by using them sparingly. There were probably technical reasons why they didn't want to show off all the dinosaurs early on, too.
Follow me on Tumblr ~ Twitter ~ Instagram ~ YouTube
Page 40:

Page 41:

Page 42:

Page 43:

Page 44:

Page 45:

Page 46:

Page 47:

Muldoon just flat out admits they have dinosaurs dying in the park, and they have no clue why!? This is getting more interesting - Crichton certainly did not use this piece of information in the novel - as in the final film, the dinosaurs would get sick but recover again.

Seems this script would go down a darker road; I like it. It addresses the (frightening) reality we know very little of these animals aside from their fossils and some behavioral traits - brought to life, they'd present us with a set of problems that would have never occurred while working to resurrect them.