Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2017 theme - 'Raptor Squad' & 'Classic Jurassic'?
So, I want to start a general discussion thread for the WIP theme for merchandise theme for 2017. Much like 'Dino Hybrid', this is a top down push from Universal, and will be a shared theme across multiple licensors.

How do we know it's 'Raptor Squad'? Universal took a trademark out in December 2015, which they also did for Hybrids in July 2015.

Now, all I know is this actually was planned since last summer, and has some actual motivation and momentum, unlike Hybrids which was a last minute push to put more products on the shelves for 2016. From what I understand, there is a 'story' behind the push, and the toys have an actual 1+ year dev time, with new direction (not just a continuation of the JW toys like Hybrids).

Now, I'm not sure if it ties into the video game in development or not.. but I am keeping my fingers crossed!

What do I expect then? Well, Raptors. And probably squads of raptors! Lol. Ok, but seriously, I'm betting on themed InGen squadrons with accompanying Raptors. For example: 'Desert tracker Dino-tracker with Dune Buggy and Desert Raptor!' (note: that is literally just a guess and not insider knowledge, so don't get your hopes up for it)

One more note. In 2013 we obtained a Toys R Us memo that said a 'Classic Jurassic' toy push was planned for 2014. Now, that never came into fruition. However, it's one of those rumors that kept resurfacing. I am personally wondering if it's back on due to Matchbox putting out a classic JP Ford Explorer item at the end of this year. Fingers crossed..

So, what do you want to see, and what do you think is coming? Sound off!
Well, Schuco is definitely interested in the movies, thats why they made the ML Diecasts, as far as I know it's a bit of wait and see for the next toy fair to see if they will / or not make new vehicles.

Jada said they might stop the pause on the Jurassic line as far as news regarding future movies come out. Let's hope for a classic Jurassic & Jurassic World push in 2017 that might bring Explorer, Unimog, G-Class in 1/43, 1/24. The survey I made among fans was clear about expectations, and they have an awesome potential, so keep my fingers crossed !

Greenlight Collectibles is / was / will be deciding the new lines for 2017 in the next days, and I know Jurassic was in talks, so we will see!

Now I know stuff about Matchbox, but yes, they are cooking some vehicles inspired by the original trilogy. Let's hope this will stimulate other brands indeed!

For Hasbro, now I'm just hoping for items from Jurassic Park & Jurassic World, you now me, so... Explorer, Jeep, G-Class, Unimog.... and maybe a Visitor's Center & Innovation Center playsets, with new electronic Dinosaurs, Bashers... with screwholes hidden.

Many things can be done with Raptor Squad theme, let's just hope they don't go to far with items too colorful !
I'm hoping for some decent human figures. Hoping they're as detailed as the Star Wars black series figures.
I honestly don't know what I think of 6" Jurassic Park humans. I'd love for them to stay 4.25 or 3.75 because they scale with Dinosaur toys.
Hold the phone... Universal actually trademarked "Raptor Squad"? That's awesome!

I would LOVE if the Classic Jurassic line meant reissues of the 1993-1998 Kenner figures, along with new figures of other franchise characters in the same style, but I think that would be wishful thinking.

Really, I would be over the moon with a well-produced line like the 2009 Toys R Us dinos, or something of similar quality if not that exactly. I am glad they are taking their time on this one this time, rather than rushing it out.
Follow me on Tumblr ~ Twitter ~ Instagram ~ YouTube
Sounds good to me! I'm all for keeping the line going no matter what, but of course, I think we all want to see a bump in quality. And based on this information, it sounds like this could potentially be a positive change.

Now, within the confines of a JP toy line, I'd like to see the scale of any potential human figures remain at 3.75". It's such a good scale for interacting with dinosaur toys. The whole Raptor Squad thing has potential. I like Chris' idea about a human, a vehicle, and a raptor. I'd love to see the dinos in similar fashion to Dave Silva's Allosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurs... a raptor in that style with decent detail and some articulation would be awesome. I'd love to see human figures of characters from the films, but I'd be OK with generic dino trackers too if they were nicely done and had some cool accessories.

I do hope a classic line eventually happens, either with reissues/repaints of the JP/TLW Kenner dinos or updated, quality versions of them.
I'm gonna keep things simple here as I've gone off on a few well informed rants over at the JPToys forum:
  • Licensed movie characters featuring high articulation and at the 3.75" scale
  • Dinosaur figures with a better texture, plastic, and over all sculpt quality that scale with the above figures
  • NO fu**ing screw holes (except for battery covers) for the love of god
  • Box art for the dinosaurs and new characters similar to the 2013 Allo and Pachyrhino sets
And drum role, my ultimate pipe-dream at this point:

A classic Jurassic line that follows the design and theme of SW The Black Series!
  • All our of classic heroes and villains from the movies get The Black Series treatment
  • A high quality jeep and explorer
  • High articulation T-Rex, Raptor, Triceratops, etc.
(06-01-2016, 12:27 PM)Anonymous Wrote: I'm gonna keep things simple here as I've gone off on a few well informed rants over at the JPToys forum:
  • Licensed movie characters featuring high articulation and at the 3.75" scale
  • Dinosaur figures with a better texture, plastic, and over all sculpt quality that scale with the above figures
  • NO fu**ing screw holes (except for battery covers) for the love of god
  • Box art for the dinosaurs and new characters similar to the 2013 Allo and Pachyrhino sets
And drum role, my ultimate pipe-dream at this point:

A classic Jurassic line that follows the design and theme of SW The Black Series!
  • All our of classic heroes and villains from the movies get The Black Series treatment
  • A high quality jeep and explorer
  • High articulation T-Rex, Raptor, Triceratops, etc.

God, a Black Series for JP would be amazing. I'm all about that Classic Jurassic line. I think we would all for sure buy every piece they release. I like that SW has a bit of playable figures and collectible figures on the shelf at a normal store like Target or Walmart. I wish JP would do this. I could give or take most of the JW & Hybrid line, but a JP Classic line would be killer.
Who doesn't want a "classic Jurassic" line. That would be insane! Is there any chance of it actually happening though?
I'd love a raptor squad theme! I just hope Hasbro steps up their game a bit.
[Image: 6vIXy1e.jpg]