Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2017 theme - 'Raptor Squad' & 'Classic Jurassic'?
(06-01-2016, 12:52 PM)JurassicParkPodcast Wrote:
(06-01-2016, 12:27 PM)Anonymous Wrote: I'm gonna keep things simple here as I've gone off on a few well informed rants over at the JPToys forum:
  • Licensed movie characters featuring high articulation and at the 3.75" scale
  • Dinosaur figures with a better texture, plastic, and over all sculpt quality that scale with the above figures
  • NO fu**ing screw holes (except for battery covers) for the love of god
  • Box art for the dinosaurs and new characters similar to the 2013 Allo and Pachyrhino sets
And drum role, my ultimate pipe-dream at this point:

A classic Jurassic line that follows the design and theme of SW The Black Series!
  • All our of classic heroes and villains from the movies get The Black Series treatment
  • A high quality jeep and explorer
  • High articulation T-Rex, Raptor, Triceratops, etc.

God, a Black Series for JP would be amazing. I'm all about that Classic Jurassic line. I think we would all for sure buy every piece they release. I like that SW has a bit of playable figures and collectible figures on the shelf at a normal store like Target or Walmart. I wish JP would do this. I could give or take most of the JW & Hybrid line, but a JP Classic line would be killer.

I can't imagine that this would not be feasible in 2018 when there is hopefully major buzz for JW2. Hasbro has to manufacture at a certain quantity for this to be economically feasible. The company does not release these production numbers, but based on what I can call my best guess of the industry the magic number is around 30,000-50,000 of each toy globally per run minimum. THIS IS A GUESS.

I could even see Hasbro launching a soft trial run of a Black Series like line as an internet exclusive among 3-4 retailers. In fact they could honestly call it 'The Legacy Collection' if Star Wars and LFL own The Black Series namesake.

Jurassic World/Park sadly still aren't getting enough attention on the toy end...
Here's another suggestion...

Bring back the '93 packaging. Offer a "vintage" line like they do with Star Wars from time to time with updated sculpts of our favorite humans and dinos within package that is very similar in aesthetic to the original. They could do the same with the bigger dinos, and if they have the molds still, simply repaint the old sculpts. They still hold up even to this day.
(06-03-2016, 03:24 AM)Victoria Wrote: Here's another suggestion...

Bring back the '93 packaging. Offer a "vintage" line like they do with Star Wars from time to time with updated sculpts of our favorite humans and dinos within package that is very similar in aesthetic to the original. They could do the same with the bigger dinos, and if they have the molds still, simply repaint the old sculpts. They still hold up even to this day.

The Star Wars vintage lines are so awesome! If there was a Jurassic Park one, my bank account would be wrecked lol.
[Image: 6vIXy1e.jpg]
(06-08-2016, 09:09 PM)Raptor Blue Wrote:

The Star Wars vintage lines are so awesome! If there was a Jurassic Park one, my bank account would be wrecked lol.

Tell me about it.

It literally would be a blessing and a curse.
Jurassic Outpost founding member & news staff. Follow me on Twitter.

THIS. Would be amazing. The main problem is we can't even get quality toys, let alone quality packaging right now from Hasbro.
I love digging on Hasbro, but to be fair, Universal is dictating the key art their licensors use. In this case, the packaging was created by Pilot Studios.. they also do Star Wars, and usually do a kick ass job. JW is somewhere in the middle of OK and great IMO. Products like the Jada vehicles really found a great way to utilize the format.

But I do wish Universal would have used the film logo for the key-art rather than the in-universe logo. It would have created a better contrast. And also, that Tyrannosaurus render on the packaging is awful.
I couldn't care less about the 'raptor squad theme', but it makes sense for them to do it. Maybe if they're cool enough I'd buy a few.

As for the 'Classic jurassic', now that is something I would love. It wouldn't hurt to have a few new dinos too.
(06-10-2016, 09:11 PM)ChrisLikesDinos Wrote: I love digging on Hasbro, but to be fair, Universal is dictating the key art their licensors use. In this case, the packaging was created by Pilot Studios.. they also do Star Wars, and usually do a kick ass job. JW is somewhere in the middle of OK and great IMO. Products like the Jada vehicles really found a great way to utilize the format.

But I do wish Universal would have used the film logo for the key-art rather than the in-universe logo. It would have created a better contrast. And also, that Tyrannosaurus render on the packaging is awful.

I'm not a fan of the JW packaging. It is glimpsed in the movie... especially in those behind the scenes docs. So it seems they wanted to use one of the two types of packaging seen in the film for the real merchandise. I guess that would be cool if the packaging was actually good, but I really am not a fan of it. I do like the colors OK, but the dinosaur skin and the terrible T-Rex render just doesn't do it for me. Next to the original JP packaging, I really do love the 2013 style they went with for the TRU toys. Something more tropical looking along those lines would have been more appreciated.
(06-15-2016, 08:35 AM)Victoria Wrote:
(06-10-2016, 09:11 PM)ChrisLikesDinos Wrote: I love digging on Hasbro, but to be fair, Universal is dictating the key art their licensors use. In this case, the packaging was created by Pilot Studios.. they also do Star Wars, and usually do a kick ass job. JW is somewhere in the middle of OK and great IMO. Products like the Jada vehicles really found a great way to utilize the format.

I'm not a fan of the JW packaging. It is glimpsed in the movie... especially in those behind the scenes docs. So it seems they wanted to use one of the two types of packaging seen in the film for the real merchandise. I guess that would be cool if the packaging was actually good, but I really am not a fan of it. I do like the colors OK, but the dinosaur skin and the terrible T-Rex render just doesn't do it for me. Next to the original JP packaging, I really do love the 2013 style they went with for the TRU toys. Something more tropical looking along those lines would have been more appreciated.

Totally there with you!

I will say though, I like JW's packaging a lot more than JP3's and more than TLW's. (TLW is way better on the back of the cards/boxes, but I never liked the front). JP2013 was fantastic... something like that, but more streamlined would be fantastic.
I'd say JW's packaging is the worst in the franchise. There's nothing to it - some bad skin graphic that's a light blue, and then some dark red thrown on top, with a badly rendered CG Rex on there. TLW fit the film's aesthetic and JP3 was... not bad. It looked better, at least.