Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The JHN Files | Jurassic Park
Recently, I set my latest attempt at a website loose upon the world, complete with a section dedicated to everyone's favourite dinosaur franchise. I don't plan to make a habit of promoting it here, but I wanted to at least raise its chances of being seen by people who might care more than the average Twitter follower.

Last October, I published a hugely critical post about Jurassic World. Unfortunately, a lot of people assumed it was a review of the film. It wasn't, so I thought I'd set the record straight with the new site's first post. Shocking though it may be, I do think there are some good things about Jurassic World. If you're at all interested, you can find my attempt to set the record straight by following the link below:

Sunrise O'er Jurassic World: Looking on the Bright Side.

It's been a while since I posted on the Forums. I hope everyone's doing well, and here's to the coming onslaught of Jurassic World 2 news!
@JHNMCHLTNR | The JHN behind @thejhnfiles. Patiently waiting for Jurassic Park to become a reality.
Nice looking website! I'm going to explore it.

EDIT: I am in complete agreement with you on the subject of Jurassic World's quality. I, too, feel it disappointed and fell short. Isla Nublar as seen in Jurassic World felt nothing like the island we visit in Jurassic Park. And like you, I had the feeling Trevorrow was going to deliver from the way he spoke and interacted (and still interacts) with the fans.

It had good scenes, incredible visual effects (the Indominus rex mainly), and a stellar cast, but it did not deliver. And yes, we are lucky, we can always return to Jurassic Park.
(11-03-2016, 03:22 PM)Neelis Wrote: Nice looking website! I'm going to explore it.

EDIT: I am in complete agreement with you on the subject of Jurassic World's quality. I, too, feel it disappointed and fell short. Isla Nublar as seen in Jurassic World felt nothing like the island we visit in Jurassic Park. And like  you, I had the feeling Trevorrow was going to deliver from the way he spoke and interacted (and still interacts) with the fans.  

It had good scenes, incredible visual effects (the Indominus rex mainly), and a stellar cast, but it did not deliver. And yes, we are lucky, we can always return to Jurassic Park.

Thanks, Neelis! Really appreciate you taking the time to have a look.
@JHNMCHLTNR | The JHN behind @thejhnfiles. Patiently waiting for Jurassic Park to become a reality.
(11-03-2016, 11:19 PM)JHNMCHLTNR Wrote:
(11-03-2016, 03:22 PM)Neelis Wrote: Nice looking website! I'm going to explore it.

EDIT: I am in complete agreement with you on the subject of Jurassic World's quality. I, too, feel it disappointed and fell short. Isla Nublar as seen in Jurassic World felt nothing like the island we visit in Jurassic Park. And like you, I had the feeling Trevorrow was going to deliver from the way he spoke and interacted (and still interacts) with the fans.  

Thanks, Neelis! Really appreciate you taking the time to have a look.

No worries! I enjoy it! 

You know what I think? While Jurassic World is a park that could actually exist (minus the Gyrospheres, I suppose), considering it has all the brands (Starbucks, Samsung, Verizon) pop up on Main Street and sponsoring, it's Jurassic Park that feels grounded in reality, while Jurassic World feels like a fantasy. I could never quite lose myself in it as I was able to with Jurassic Park and The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

While recreating dinosaurs itself might be impossible, it feels like it could happen because the people in these films are so real. They never feel "larger than life" - the characters in Jurassic World do. The realism (and magic) of the original(s) is what the fourth film lacks. 

I really wonder what the original script was like, before Trevorrow and Connolly took over and rewrote it. Would it have been closer to the original ideas? 

It's not to say I didn't have a great time in the cinema the first time I saw the film (and the two times after as well) - the excitement and adrenalin caused by seeing a new Jurassic film made sure I had a blast. 

But looking back at the film, I feel too much is happening at once. Jurassic Park and The Lost World: Jurassic Park largely follow the same formula: incident in the opening scene, majestic dinosaur reveal at the 20 minute mark, Tyrannosaurus shows up about an hour in, the fight for survival starts, there are moments of contemplation, Tyrannosaurus/ Velociraptors show up (again) and there's a grand finale - Velociraptors in Jurassic Park, Tyrannosaurus in San Diego in The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

The films took moments to breathe, reflect on what was going on and we always knew where the characters were at any given time in the story.

Jurassic World suffers from too many action scenes, an unclear idea of what the park actually looks like (the maps don't add up with what we see in the film), there are so many characters and subplots it sometimes is difficult to follow.

One thing they never resolved was the entire military subplot. How did InGen get this miniature private army? What kind of Bioengineering company has that sort of subdivisions? It annoyed me greatly this was never answered and left hanging entirely. 
(Then again, the whole Masrani and InGen relationship was unclear - did InGen go under after the San Diego fiasco or not?) 

In the end, this film was not just made for the fans, but for 2015 audiences. And Hollywood seems to believe those expect nothing but flashy effects, explosions, wise-cracking characters and as many action scenes as possible.

To me, 2014's Godzilla feels more like a Jurassic Park film than Jurassic World.

Alright, my rant is over. It has some redeeming features (Wu and Masrani in the laboratory!) and likable characters.
(11-02-2016, 04:51 PM)JHNMCHLTNR Wrote: I don't plan to make a habit of promoting it here...

The above absolutely still stands, but I wanted to share my account of #JurassicParkLive with the community, given that it was such a special occasion for those fortunate enough to attend. Even if you don't care about the music, there are some photos of various dinosaur skeletons, and a certain jeep, too. Enjoy!

Jurassic Park in Concert: A Weekend Excursion.
I won't make a point of sharing every link here, but today I posted the first article in what — luck permitting... — will become a short series about my time with the original films, spread throughout #JurassicJune. If you're interested, you can find said article using the link below.

Jurassic Park & Me.