Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So much scrapped for the expanded universe....why?
Okay so lets track this shall we.

-at least 2 cancelled animated series
-several canceled video games
-JP4 was on again off again for 13 years

We got a few comics and stuff, but nothing overly exciting

What is it about the Jurassic franchise that gives the powers that be such cold feet?? They seem to want to get things started, but never want to finish it. I'm sure we are all frustrated with this!

I was hoping that the success of JW would spark some enthusiasm for a rich expanded universe, but we are almost a year removed from JW and we have no word on ANYTHING!! I get so jealous of the Star Wars universe because their hardcore fans get so much. Some is good, some is bad of course, but they do a great job at keeping people excited about a franchise that is 40 years old.

Just wanted to rant about this a little...im done now.
It is highly frustrating to see the majority of exciting projects related to Jurassic get scrapped. JP: Survival is one, along with this JW video game. Both the right style for JP, both cancelled. Why? We'll never know for sure...

I agree with you. It shows a lack of confidence on Universal's behalf. For what reason I do not know. Look at how successful JW was - people still want these movies.
Even the comics series was cut short, both times. The original Topps series of 90s was left open ended, and the IDW series of a few years ago didn't go very far.... even their reprinted TPB of the old comics were halted before they got to the Lost World ones. And I think that's too bad, because I always loved the comics. They were a great way to expand on the characters and stories in ways that wouldn't or couldn't be done in the movies.
Follow me on Tumblr ~ Twitter ~ Instagram ~ YouTube
I knew the comic lines were short but I didn't realise they were actually cut short. That's so classic for this franchise. The comics are a hell of a lot of fun, I need to read them all sequentially.
(06-02-2016, 11:34 PM)jurassiraptor Wrote: Even the comics series was cut short, both times. The original Topps series of 90s was left open ended, and the IDW series of a few years ago didn't go very far.... even their reprinted TPB of the old comics were halted before they got to the Lost World ones. And I think that's too bad, because I always loved the comics. They were a great way to expand on the characters and stories in ways that wouldn't or couldn't be done in the movies.

Any idea how to get a hold of these? I only read a few of the comics years ago.
(06-03-2016, 12:41 PM)KerrRobinson84 Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 11:34 PM)jurassiraptor Wrote: Even the comics series was cut short, both times. The original Topps series of 90s was left open ended, and the IDW series of a few years ago didn't go very far.... even their reprinted TPB of the old comics were halted before they got to the Lost World ones. And I think that's too bad, because I always loved the comics. They were a great way to expand on the characters and stories in ways that wouldn't or couldn't be done in the movies.

Some, but not all, of the comics are available digitally from IDW.

Amazon has hardcover and paperback collections of the three IDW series (Jurassic Park Redemption, Dangerous Games, and Devils in the Desert), and the collected Topps reprints (search Classic Jurassic Park volumes), but eBay is probably the best bet for individual issues from the original printing.
(06-04-2016, 12:25 AM)jurassiraptor Wrote:
(06-03-2016, 12:41 PM)KerrRobinson84 Wrote:

Some, but not all, of the comics are available digitally from IDW.

Amazon has hardcover and paperback collections of the three IDW series (Jurassic Park Redemption, Dangerous Games, and Devils in the Desert), and the collected Topps reprints (search Classic Jurassic Park volumes), but eBay is probably the best bet for individual issues from the original printing.
Truth be told, Im not very concerned about getting original printings. I just want to read them.
(06-04-2016, 12:30 AM)KerrRobinson84 Wrote: Truth be told, Im not very concerned about getting original printings. I just want to read them.

The trade paperbacks may be the way to go. They're usually around $10 apiece, sometimes less on eBay if you can find them, and each one compiles several issues of the comics.
(06-04-2016, 12:36 AM)jurassiraptor Wrote:
(06-04-2016, 12:30 AM)KerrRobinson84 Wrote: Truth be told, Im not very concerned about getting original printings. I just want to read them.

The trade paperbacks may be the way to go. They're usually around $10 apiece, sometimes less on eBay if you can find them, and each one compiles several issues of the comics.

thanks for the info man! Maybe Ill pick them up sometime. But I did just spend $500 on the Breakout Rex...so maybe ill have to hold off...haha
Do Universal executives just feel like there isn't much there for expansion? I mean, can you only go so far with dinosaurs without drifting into cheese?

Colin also has said in interviews they're not interested in building a "universe" for jurassic.