Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So much scrapped for the expanded universe....why?
(06-06-2016, 06:49 PM)jobalexang Wrote: Do Universal executives just feel like there isn't much there for expansion? I mean, can you only go so far with dinosaurs without drifting into cheese?

Colin also has said in interviews they're not interested in building a "universe" for jurassic.

I've heard him in interviews where I get the exact opposite impression.
(06-06-2016, 06:54 PM)KerrRobinson84 Wrote:
(06-06-2016, 06:49 PM)jobalexang Wrote: Do Universal executives just feel like there isn't much there for expansion? I mean, can you only go so far with dinosaurs without drifting into cheese?

Colin also has said in interviews they're not interested in building a "universe" for jurassic.

Please link me! I would love to see it. 

The interview I'm referring to is his chat with the JurassicCast podcast, where he compares his upcoming Star Wars role. 

" I shouldn’t use the word universe, because people will think we’re making a Jurassic World universe -- we’re not."
(06-06-2016, 10:03 PM)jobalexang Wrote:
(06-06-2016, 06:54 PM)KerrRobinson84 Wrote:

Please link me! I would love to see it. 

The interview I'm referring to is his chat with the JurassicCast podcast, where he compares his upcoming Star Wars role. 

" I shouldn’t use the word universe, because people will think we’re making a Jurassic World universe -- we’re not."
I don't have a link...im sorry. I don't remember where I saw it, he wanted to see Jurassic turn into a corporate completion instead of just having InGen having a monopoly on dino DNA. There will be more companies that are working with it. I guess that is not technically universe building, but in a way it is. Its starting to get more global.
I am down for that within the story. But I think in terms of a wider official "canon" and spin-offs, it appears Universal has no interest in doing that. At least as far as Colin Trevorrow is involved.
I have sworn up and down for the past 10+ years that Jurassic Park most have a curse of some kind: Some of the best Kenner toys never got released, entire cartoon series were cut, toy lines were cut/scaled way back, comic series ended earlier or just dropped off story wise, and some of the licensees either never actually released anything or their products ending up getting cut.

I hope things are indeed changing. I have a little bit more faith in the development of a Jurassic Park Universe, but I have little to no faith in Universal handling the franchise properly.
I understand the annoyance about this. I myself would love to have had a JP cartoon as a kid. But I don't think comparing this to Star Wars is fair. Star Wars has almost infinite story possibilities. There is only so much JP story to mine before it gets repetitive or dives straight into nonsense.
(11-06-2016, 09:36 PM)RaptorBlueMalcolm89 Wrote: I understand the annoyance about this. I myself would love to have had a JP cartoon as a kid. But I don't think comparing this to Star Wars is fair. Star Wars has almost infinite story possibilities. There is only so much JP story to mine before it gets repetitive or dives straight into nonsense.

There might not be enough material to create a believable expanded universe, but it's odd there are very few games. Trespasser is one of the best. It does present gamers with some gameplay problems and hokey-looking dinosaurs, but story, settings, atmosphere, narration and music are incredibly well done.

Jurassic Park: Genesis is another gem, being able to create your own park. Given the developments, it is strange there never was a big new Jurassic Park game released with Jurassic World, or even after. There are some mobile games (and there's Jurassic Park: The Game, but that's more point-and-click), however, nothing truly immersive.