Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How dark and different was Jurassic World in your opinion
JW had more graphic deaths then any of the previous three films (IMO). However, TLW had graphic deaths as well and 100% had a darker/ominous tone than JW.

Which made the difference to you, the slightly more blood and aggressive attacks of JW or the tone of TLW?

Plus, JW had a lot of ideas fans were skeptical of (Open park, semi trained raptors, hybrids, and talks of using raptors and hybrids as weapons for wars) but the film still had many similarities to JP.

So did JW feel more different or more of the same to you?

Thought this would be an interesting discussion. Smile
Jurassic Park and The Lost World: Jurassic Park have a certain look, tone and feel both Jurassic Park III and Jurassic World don't possess. I believe The Lost World is the darkest of the four films, and the one in which most is at stake.

Jurassic World never approaches that same sense of urgency. While innocent tourists are victims of the attack by the Pteranodons and Dimorphodons, it plays more for laughs than chills and thrills. The death of Zara left me unimpressed. Many people complained it was drawn out and horrible because she's attacked by the Pteranodons, and devoured by the Mosasaurus, but it left me rather cold. Eddie Carr's death was far more disturbing (being ripped in half on screen), he not only died while trying to save his friends, he was far better developed than Zara.

(Zara was a reasonably sympathetic character, but not given enough screen time or personality for audiences to truly care about her - most people feel she was treated unfairly as a woman. Had the character been male and in the exact same circumstances, I believe the death would not have been received as truly shocking.)

For me, Jurassic World does not reach the highs of Jurassic Park.
I didn't laugh during the Pteranodon attack and Zara's long death scene to me was shocking but awesome to watch. IMO all the JP films have there own "certain look". I agree JW doesn't have a major sense of urgency but some of the scenes IMO were more violent the any of the previous three films.
It was dark when it needed to be and lighter when it needed to be. TLW had a darker look and tone overall, but I'd say it didn't balance it's humor and darkness as well and JW. Some of the humor in the TLW falls utterly flat for me. Most of the humor in JW works for me. I loved TLW and I know it has its ardent defenders here, but I can't deny it has some pretty big issues.
I didn't think JW was dark at all. There was never a sense of true isolation or terror. The kids just found everything cool and fun.
(12-22-2016, 03:45 PM)Jack Wrote: I didn't think JW was dark at all. There was never a sense of true isolation or terror. The kids just found everything cool and fun.

Mmmmm, what? Not to sound rude, but I honestly don't get what you're trying to say other than making an underhanded insult. They were absolutely terrified numerous times in the film.
It did had slight gore and Jack. When Indominous ate the fat guard we saw good amount of blood in it's mouth, during the Indominous ambush of the ACU we saw people get killed pretty violently, and Zara's death. And the kids were terrified when running for their lives.
For me that's a reason to call the film dark. IMO it's way darker than JP and JP3. TLW however does have good amount of blood and violent deaths plus having a ominous tone.

(12-23-2016, 06:11 PM)RaptorBlueMalcolm89 Wrote:
(12-22-2016, 03:45 PM)Jack Wrote: I didn't think JW was dark at all. There was never a sense of true isolation or terror. The kids just found everything cool and fun.

Mmmmm, what? Not to sound rude, but I honestly don't get what you're trying to say other than making an underhanded insult. They were absolutely terrified numerous times in the film.

I don't think Jack was insulting you, he was just stating his opinion.

On the thread topic, I didn't find JW "terrifying" but I will say I find the film darker than JP and JP3.
Everything in JW felt too 'lighthearted' and 'bright'. There was hardly any sense of true terror. Maybe it was because everything felt bright and took place in the day. Even JP3 has its moments of terror (Pteranodons + Spinosaurus boat attack), but JW didn't really. TLW is definitely the darkest movie of the 4.
"It's a high hide. A high hide, you know you go up and you hide high. Goes up to where the trees are, and keeps the researchers out of harms way" - Eddie Carr
'Actually it would put them at a very convenient biting height" - Ian Malcolm
(12-27-2016, 03:23 AM)Aegyptiacus3 Wrote: Everything in JW felt too 'lighthearted' and 'bright'. There was hardly any sense of true terror. Maybe it was because everything felt bright and took place in the day. Even JP3 has its moments of terror (Pteranodons + Spinosaurus boat attack), but JW didn't really. TLW is definitely the darkest movie of the 4.

I disagree, the characters defiantly experience 'terror' in JW because to me when a dinosaur eats someone that's 'terror'.

Okay seriously, I didn't find JW to be 'lighthearted' at all. Yes the film was more 'shiny' than the other films but the kills to me were more brutal. To me the moment the first person died the sh*t got real in JW.
(12-28-2016, 07:01 PM)Dr. Wu Wrote: I disagree, the characters defiantly experience 'terror' in JW because to me when a dinosaur eats someone that's 'terror'.

Okay seriously, I didn't find JW to be 'lighthearted' at all. Yes the film was more 'shiny' than the other films but the kills to me were more brutal. To me the moment the first person died the sh*t got real in JW.

Ehhh... The only scenes where it did feel 'terrifying' was the Raptor ambush and the I.rex ACU attack. Everything else felt pretty tame to be honest. The dialogue and abrupt scene changes take some of the tension away. 

I disagree that the kills were more brutal. People forget how brutal the first movie was... Dennis getting spat on and mauled to death, Ray getting his arm ripped off (and presumably devoured), Gennaro getting chomped, Muldoon getting mauled and ripped apart. JW on the other hand wa MUCH tamer, the only thing that felt remotely brutal was the ACU soldiers getting picked off. TLW is even more brutal than JP, and at least in JP3 the film gets darker and darker as it goes along. JW was actually pretty tame, it had to be. Couldn't be too violent.
"It's a high hide. A high hide, you know you go up and you hide high. Goes up to where the trees are, and keeps the researchers out of harms way" - Eddie Carr
'Actually it would put them at a very convenient biting height" - Ian Malcolm