Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From Jurassic Park to Jurassic World: the influence of sequels
First published on Jurassiraptor's Tumblr page - my article on the influence of The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park III on Jurassic World.

http://jurassiraptor.tumblr.com/post/141...-world-the
Great read! An interesting point for sure and I am glad you came to the conclusion that the TLW and JP3 are still important to the story. TLW's final sequence allowed the public to realise that Malcolm was right, and opens up a whole conspiracy that people would start trying to look into. JP3 didn't add as much to the franchise, and while the Pternodons flying away from the island has yet to be answered within the films, it stills allows us to imagine that in the years between JP3 and JW, people saw even more dinosaurs, thus learning even more about the original park.
Thank you, I'm glad to read you enjoyed it!

One element I considered, but left out, was the treatment of the Velociraptors. Jurassic Park showed them locked up in the fortified pen, being considered the most dangerous species on the island. Making the jump to Jurassic World's Velociraptors from there would simply be unbelievable. We needed Jurassic Park III to show us they were intelligent and, to an extent, could even be communicated with.

People are quick to say Jurassic World is the "true" sequel; in reality, they all are true sequels and they all have a part to play and elements to add to the story.
The Velociraptors in JP3 were brilliant, they might be my favourite. As you said, we got to see them evolved in the wild, fending for themselves as they should be. These Raptors were communicating, that moment in JP3 is fantastic.

JP3 does have flaws and it didn't progress the universe of JP much, but it has some excellent moments and I think the Raptors do stand out, as well as the visual effects and animatronic work. It was the peak of ILM/Stan Winston's collaboration, they truly nailed it for the most part.

Great read - do share more if you have them! Smile
Absolutely loved JP3's raptors, how scary and smart they are. They're the closest to how Crichton wrote them, in my opinion. And I agree, their appearance in JP3 was crucial to bridge the audience from the raptors seen in JP1 and Lost World to the ones in Jurassic World.

Once again, a great read, Neelis!
Follow me on Tumblr ~ Twitter ~ Instagram ~ YouTube
Great blog dude! I have some thoughts about JP3 and it's importance also.

Each chapter adds an idea, or an event, which helps lay the ground work for the next film. Here's a couple of examples...

JP the idea of cloning dinosaurs by adding frog DNA which would lead to the Indominus.

TLW was about how the public eventually learned that the stories were true and dinosaurs were real. This results in the opening of Jurassic World (as mentioned in the blog), and the opening of the illegal DINO-SOAR trip which Eric Kirby takes, bringing us to the events in JP3. 

(Side note: the Dino-Soar gliding package is a tiny group of people trying to make money off the dinosaurs for entertainment, like a mini-Jurassic Park. It helps the idea of JW being a reality as it shows that even though JP failed and a lot of people were injured, or killed, in San Diego people are still eager to spend money to see these things.)

As for JP3, I believe it is now a crucial chapter of the franchise.

Firstly and briefly, this dialogue -- Billie: "I don't remember that on InGen's list." Grant: "It wasn't on their list. Which makes you wonder what else they were up to." -- Hints towards something secret going on, which in-turn one could argue was the early years of the Masrani take over. 

And secondly in hindsight JP3 paved the way for the scene in JW where the Indominus becomes the new alpha. "Something's wrong, they're communicating." 

[Image: jurassic-world-movie-screencaps.com-11060.jpg]

With all the Raptor communication stuff JP3 threw into the mix this scene becomes more powerful. The Indominus is part Raptor and with the quills on its head it must have the same DNA as the Raptors seen in JP3, an arguably more intelligent breed than those seen in JP and TLW. Hence the Indominus being highly intelligent and able to communicate well.

Obviously this all could be unintentional on the film-makers part, but regardless I'm grateful it all fits together so neatly! It's all very consistent between the films, if you view everything as a whole. I've yet to find ONE thing which contradicts within the movie lore, outside of dates the events take place.
(06-09-2016, 03:38 PM)JackEwins Wrote: Obviously this all could be unintentional on the film-makers part, but regardless I'm grateful it all fits together so neatly! It's all very consistent between the films, if you view everything as a whole. I've yet to find ONE thing which contradicts within the movie lore, outside of dates the events take place.

This. Masrani's history with InGen certainly helps justify that line in JP3 and give it more meaning - but at the time it was written and until JW became a reality, that line was more of a throwaway.

I agree with you though, I'm grateful that this all fits together so well. It makes it more entertaining.
Exactly.

Intentional or not it all works.
JP3 also sets JW with Amanda Kirby accidentally leaving the aviary door unlock so that the Pteranodons could escape and Vic Hoskins takes them out which made him the head of security. Hoskins later made the deal with Dr. Wu to make the Indominus for war and there we have Jurassic World.
(06-09-2016, 04:25 PM)Dr. Wu Wrote: JP3 also sets JW with Amanda Kirby accidentally leaving the aviary door unlock so that the Pteranodons could escape and Vic Hoskins takes them out which made him the head of security. Hoskins later made the deal with Dr. Wu to make the Indominus for war and there we have Jurassic World.

[Image: tumblr_np8xkkHcmd1u5tn07o1_400.gif]