Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jurassic World 2 Writer
Hi,

I was wondering what people's thoughts are regarding Colin and Derek as the writers for Jurassic World 2? I recently watched Kong Skull Island. I quite liked it, however, I was reading the reviews and noticed the same criticisms that Jurassic World received regarding characters. I personally loved Jurassic world and found the characters to be really charismatic. They were, however, very simple with not THAT much depth. I felt the same about Skull Island in that I enjoyed watching them, but they weren't necessarily complex.  I also noticed recently that Derek Conolly wrote the film Monster Trucks which pretty much got panned.

My question is, do you guys think Jurassic World 2 will reach critical acclaim with Derek and Colin writing it? Bayona has proven to be a consistently well-liked director, but can he carry the film if the writing turns out mediocre?  It's a shame to see all these Jurassic films getting slammed because the concept should be able to prioduce a world-class film.

Let me know your opinions!
I think that however it will turn out, it will still receive a fair amount of criticism. I think it will probably be picked apart like the other sequels. The only one that will have critical acclaim and be considered a masterpiece will be the original Jurassic Park. Even if Jurassic World 2 is good, it'll still be easy pickings for haters. Lord knows that's what happened to a of decent films nowadays.
The script certainly wasn't the strongest part of Jurassic World, but I have high hopes for JW2. Colin and Derek had to lay down a foundation for future sequels to build on and I do hope that the script for this one is more in line with the first two movies. Having Bayona directing is exciting.
(03-15-2017, 11:12 AM)RichardLevine Wrote: I think that however it will turn out, it will still receive a fair amount of criticism. I think it will probably be picked apart like the other sequels. The only one that will have critical acclaim and be considered a masterpiece will be the original Jurassic Park. Even if Jurassic World 2 is good, it'll still be easy pickings for haters. Lord knows that's what happened to a of decent films nowadays.

I think if franchises like Mad Max and Mission Impossible can reach critical acclaim, so can Jurassic Park. But yeah, I too think it will still be heavily criticized, especially that one of the biggest criticisms in the first JW was something as irrelevant as BDH's heels.

(03-15-2017, 03:07 PM)Jack Wrote: The script certainly wasn't the strongest part of Jurassic World, but I have high hopes for JW2. Colin and Derek had to lay down a foundation for future sequels to build on and I do hope that the script for this one is more in line with the first two movies. Having Bayona directing is exciting.

I have very high hopes in Bayona. I remember seeing The Impossible back when it came out and it was amazing and very emotional. I haven't seen AMC but the trailer showed off some really cool visuals. I'm just recognizing the pattern in which Derek's films have been criticized and they're mainly towards the characters. Hopefully, they can bring their A-game with JW2.
(03-15-2017, 03:07 PM)Jack Wrote: The script certainly wasn't the strongest part of Jurassic World, but I have high hopes for JW2. Colin and Derek had to lay down a foundation for future sequels to build on and I do hope that the script for this one is more in line with the first two movies. Having Bayona directing is exciting.

The script could've been better, but it was fine. We could've gotten a lot worse. It did succeed in reviving the franchise, while introducing it to a new generation as well. It also redeemed the T-Rex. At least there weren't any dino-human hybrids.
(03-15-2017, 11:12 AM)RichardLevine Wrote: I think that however it will turn out, it will still receive a fair amount of criticism. I think it will probably be picked apart like the other sequels. The only one that will have critical acclaim and be considered a masterpiece will be the original Jurassic Park. Even if Jurassic World 2 is good, it'll still be easy pickings for haters. Lord knows that's what happened to a of decent films nowadays.

Like I always say, art is relative and subjective, what to some might be good story or script to others it might not.

Even the original Jurassic Park had reviews that were so so.
Link to the T Rex Spinosaurus rematch petition in Jurassic World 2 that Colin Trevorrow noted. We hope everyone joins and help us share it.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-hav...920665797/
It's hard to pinpoint where the main fault in Jurassic World was, but I'd say it has to do with a mix of the writing and direction. The writing gives us not very good characters, a bunch of forced jokes, and some ideas that just weren't done right, but the direction is what gave us a cartoonish feel with no tension. So, I think maybe, just maybe, that the combination of their writing with a director who's far better at creating a thriller, then it might just work out. But in general I am not optimistic.
I agree with Jack but I at the same time I love JW. The script was mostly weak but it was an popcorn flick/action movie. The visuals and action made the film a great thrill ride and what we saw of the park was amazing. If the script for JW2 suffers the same way hopefully Bayona will make the film fun in his own way.

The characters were likeable (I even like Hoskins) but weren't that much developed (besides Claire, Masrani, and Wu to an extent due to the reveal of his alliance with Hoskins).
(03-19-2017, 09:46 AM)Dr. Wu Wrote: I agree with Jack but I at the same time I love JW. The script was mostly weak but it was an popcorn flick/action movie. The visuals and action made the film a great thrill ride and what we saw of the park was amazing. If the script for JW2 suffers the same way hopefully Bayona will make the film fun in his own way.

The characters were likeable (I even like Hoskins) but weren't that much developed (besides Claire, Masrani, and Wu to an extent due to the reveal of his alliance with Hoskins).

I think Zach was developed quite well, too.
(03-19-2017, 06:10 PM)NeonMediaKJT Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 09:46 AM)Dr. Wu Wrote: I agree with Jack but I at the same time I love JW. The script was mostly weak but it was an popcorn flick/action movie. The visuals and action made the film a great thrill ride and what we saw of the park was amazing. If the script for JW2 suffers the same way hopefully Bayona will make the film fun in his own way.

I think Zach was developed quite well, too.

I agree.