Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dilophosaurus' size
One issue that pops up every now and then is the size of the Dilophosaurus. While the real animal stood about 10 feet tall and was 20 feet long, the dinosaur Nedry encounters in Jurassic Park was much smaller - over the years, it has been speculated this was a juvenile. 

For those who have the Making of Jurassic Park book it might not come as a surprise the dinosaur originally was intended to be an adult (see quote below). 

Quote:The spitter was the most fictionalized of all of Jurassic Park’s dinosaurs. Whereas a real Dilophosaurus stood approximately ten feet tall and was non-poisonous, the movie’s Dilophosaurus was a much smaller animal, with a vibrating cowl and the ability to spit toxic venom.

https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/blog/j...ur-puppet#

Steven Spielberg didn't want audiences to confuse the Velociraptors and Dilophosaurus, and sizing down the dinosaur would create an element of (an unpleasant) surprise too as it spat at Nedry and attacked him in the car. 

[img] <br />https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/ckeditor_assets/pictures/319/content_jurassic-park-spitter-blog-1.jpg?1345183235[/img]

The discovery of this image (see below) let people to believe the animal seen in Jurassic Park was indeed a juvenile. On the trailer's screens in The Lost World: Jurassic Park images of INGEN's dinosaurs were on a constant loop. One of those images was of a Dilophosaurus:

[img] http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/Dilop...1_1280.jpg[/img]

The text explains the animal was 20 feet long when fully grown. 

Fair enough, it seems. Though it's very difficult to spot (most people won't even notice it while watching the film - I didn't either until it was pointed out), it seems to imply there were fully grown specimens on Isla Sorna, and possibly Isla Nublar. 

One element is often overlooked, though. Take a look at this image:

[Image: Dilophosaurus?file=Uvs120406-001.jpg]

When the tour vehicles pass the Dilophosaurus paddock, we get a good look at the fence keeping the dinosaurs in. The fence isn't too high, barely reaches above the top of the car. An adult Dilophosaurus, it seems, would have had no trouble scaling it. 

It could have been either arrogance or ignorance from the park's designers - personally, I believe the Dilophosaurus seen in Jurassic Park is supposed to be an adult, as the filmmakers intended.

What do you think? Is there a place for a Dilophosaurus closer to the animal that once roamed the Earth? Or should the Jurassic World films keep up the original design and size, as Jurassic World more or less did with the hologram, should Dilophosaurus return?
In Jurassic World, wasn't the hologram of the Dilo about the same size as Delta?
This is an interesting debate, and one that I've not really thought much about. As you say, over the years it is assumed to be a juvenile that we see in the first film but nothing was ever confirmed. Even though it's typical of Nedry's character, he did seem to talk down to it as if he knew it was a young dinosaur.

(06-08-2016, 08:00 PM)jobalexang Wrote: In Jurassic World, wasn't the hologram of the Dilo about the same size as Delta?
I was about to say, was there any information released during Jurassic World about the Dilophosaurus? It wasn't on the website, but did anybody catch any scientific info when we're inside the Visitors Center?
Quote: In Jurassic World, wasn't the hologram of the Dilo about the same size as Delta?

Yes, it seems it was. A little larger than the Dilophosaurus seen in Jurassic Park, but not nearly the size of a real-life adult.

Quote:This is an interesting debate, and one that I've not really thought much about. As you say, over the years it is assumed to be a juvenile that we see in the first film but nothing was ever confirmed. Even though it's typical of Nedry's character, he did seem to talk down to it as if he knew it was a young dinosaur.

When he says, "I thought you were one of your big brothers, you're not so bad," he's most likely referring to the Tyrannosaurus. Nedry seems completely oblivious about the animal(s) - the only dinosaurs even he considered too dangerous were the Velociraptors, as he left the electrical fences on while shutting down power everywhere else in the park. (He might have been given instructions the pen's fences should be electrified at all times.)

EDIT: apologies for the images not working properly, I'm still trying to get the hang of this forum - works a little different from the other forum's I'm a member of.

Also: I wouldn't be opposed to a full size Dilophosaurus, I think it could be a very cool addition to the franchise - though I fear it would muddle canon even more. (Seeing there are quite a number of people who consider the events of Jurassic Park: The Game canon to the films' universe - and the Dilophosaurs in the game were indeed presented as juveniles.)
(06-08-2016, 08:29 PM)Neelis Wrote: EDIT: apologies for the images not working properly, I'm still trying to get the hang of this forum - works a little different from the other forum's I'm a member of.

Also: I wouldn't be opposed to a full size Dilophosaurus, I think it could be a very cool addition to the franchise - though I fear it would muddle canon even more. (Seeing there are quite a number of people who consider the events of Jurassic Park: The Game canon to the films' universe - and the Dilophosaurs in the game were indeed presented as juveniles.)

No problem, MyBB is slightly different but it's very easy to use - just click the little image icon above the text editor and paste the URL. 

Hmm, yeah that could be tricky. We need a final/official confirmation that the Dilo in JP1 was fully grown. Damn, we should have asked Matt Winston if he knew!
I like to think the JP dilophosaurus is a juvenile, but the thing working against that theory is that it is proportioned like an adult and not a young animal (young animals, even dinosaurs, tend to have a different body structure and bigger heads and eyes proportional to their body compared to adults -- compare the baby T-rex in Lost World to the adults, for example.)  I don't think it was the filmmakers' intention to portray the dilo as anything other than a grown animal, but that could always be retconned.

I always wanted to see a scene in a JP movie where a character comes across one of those 3-foot-tall dilophosaurs in the jungle; it looks at him curiously, moving toward him cautiously. Then a second such dilo pops up. Then a third and fourth. They slowly approach the person, cornering him against a clump of foliage and a large stump. But then the stump moves, and the large head of a full-grown adult dilophosaurus enters into the frame. Mama dilophosaurus stands up and twists around, getting into position to strike and then -- SNAP -- like a rattlesnake, springs forward, sinking its venomous jaws into the person's shoulder and chest as the little dilos hoot and hop around excitedly, awaiting their meal.

Quote:When the tour vehicles pass the Dilophosaurus paddock, we get a good look at the fence keeping the dinosaurs in. The fence isn't too high, barely reaches above the top of the car. An adult Dilophosaurus, it seems, would have had no trouble scaling it. 

That fence really is noticeably short, no match for a full sized dilophosaurus. Speaking of dilos scaling the fence, I always enjoyed this image:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Follow me on Tumblr ~ Twitter ~ Instagram ~ YouTube
Never seen that image before! That's great.

Love your scene description too... that would be very cool.
Personally, I have always assumed the animal we saw in Jurassic Park was in fact an adult. It certainly seems to have been the intention of Spielberg at the time, though if they eventually have larger Dilo's it won't break any established canon.

The info screen in TLW was likely just made up as a filler by the art department, who did some basic research on Dilophosaurus to help flesh out the screen. However, it certainly could be inferred as canon. Though it is also just as possible InGen identified the species, and assumed it would grow to the same size as the fossil record never knowing they were stunted.

Ultimately, I am in the camp that the Dilo's in JP1 were adults - the movies nor extended merch certainly did nothing to acknowledge them as juvenile.
Jurassic Outpost founding member & news staff. Follow me on Twitter.
(06-08-2016, 11:14 PM)jurassiraptor Wrote: I always wanted to see a scene in a JP movie where a character comes across one of those 3-foot-tall dilophosaurs in the jungle; it looks at him curiously, moving toward him cautiously. Then a second such dilo pops up. Then a third and fourth. They slowly approach the person, cornering him against a clump of foliage and a large stump. But then the stump moves, and the large head of a full-grown adult dilophosaurus enters into the frame. Mama dilophosaurus stands up and twists around, getting into position to strike and then -- SNAP -- like a rattlesnake, springs forward, sinking its venomous jaws into the person's shoulder and chest as the little dilos hoot and hop around excitedly, awaiting their meal.

Quote:When the tour vehicles pass the Dilophosaurus paddock, we get a good look at the fence keeping the dinosaurs in. The fence isn't too high, barely reaches above the top of the car. An adult Dilophosaurus, it seems, would have had no trouble scaling it. 

That fence really is noticeably short, no match for a full sized dilophosaurus. Speaking of dilos scaling the fence, I always enjoyed this image:

That's a nice idea! Could be quite horrific. 

I like that card! Some of the trading card had very fine and imaginative art on them. The cards that came with the Kenner dinosaurs are fantastic as well - your idea reminds me of the card that came with the water-spitting Dilophosaurus.
I've always guessed they grow up to 20 feet long based on that Lost world screen. The ones seen in JP/JW were juveniles.