Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derek Connolly handn't seen Jurassic until hired.
I may be late to this info, but does it not concern anyone that Derek Connolly never really watched the Jurassic films before being hired to co-write the script? According to this article, he doesn't like any of the sequels.

http://thejhnfiles.com/might-not-right-a...c-world-2/
(05-09-2017, 10:03 PM)NeonMediaKJT Wrote: I may be late to this info, but does it not concern anyone that Derek Connolly never really watched the Jurassic films before being hired to co-write the script? According to this article, he doesn't like any of the sequels.

Definitely concerns me!

I've been thinking about this a little since first replying. Just to clarify: I think Connolly's lack of familiarity might've contributed towards the un-Jurassic feel of Jurassic World, but I don't necessarily think it doomed him to writing a poor film. I reckon it's perfectly possible for someone to sit down, watch the films, and write a great sequel in relatively short order. I don't think Connolly — and Trevorrow, of course — pulled that off.

As for his not liking the sequels, it's specifically what he said that bugs me. 'The first one is amazing. It's funny and the characters are great. The sequels, not so much.'  I just don't understand how he can that having written Jurassic World, a film with largely infantile humour and incredibly flat characters. You can say what you will about Jurassic Park III, but The Lost World is full of great characters and subtly great humour — far beyond anything he and Trevorrow brought to the table.
@JHNMCHLTNR | The JHN behind @thejhnfiles. Patiently waiting for Jurassic Park to become a reality.
(05-10-2017, 02:30 AM)JHNMCHLTNR Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 10:03 PM)NeonMediaKJT Wrote: I may be late to this info, but does it not concern anyone that Derek Connolly never really watched the Jurassic films before being hired to co-write the script? According to this article, he doesn't like any of the sequels.

Definitely concerns me!

I've been thinking about this a little since first replying. Just to clarify: I think Connolly's lack of familiarity might've contributed towards the un-Jurassic feel of Jurassic World, but I don't necessarily think it doomed him to writing a poor film. I reckon it's perfectly possible for someone to sit down, watch the films, and write a great sequel in relatively short order. I don't think Connolly — and Trevorrow, of course — pulled that off.

As for his not liking the sequels, it's specifically what he said that bugs me. 'The first one is amazing. It's funny and the characters are great. The sequels, not so much.'  I just don't understand how he can that having written Jurassic World, a film with largely infantile humour and incredibly flat characters. You can say what you will about Jurassic Park III, but The Lost World is full of great characters and subtly great humour — far beyond anything he and Trevorrow brought to the table.

I wouldn't say The Lost World had great characters. They were pretty standard. Plus they did a lot of unlikeable things such as Nick causing chaos at the camp and taking their ammo. But yeah, it's kinda weird, because he wouldn't have grown to know exactly what everyone loves about Jurassic Park.
(05-10-2017, 02:30 AM)JHNMCHLTNR Wrote: Definitely concerns me!

Personally, I think the characters were awesome and thought the humor was hilarious (Masrani's humor especially). JW was a summer popcorn flick, an awesome one at that, so the writing wasn't going to be all great. I think you wanted too much from the movie.

I agree JW has the most un-JP feel but maybe that was a good thing as it got new fans to the franchise that might like action flicks that JW provided. There wasn't a JP film for years when JW was made so they had to adjust stuff for modern audiences.
(05-11-2017, 06:44 PM)Dr. Wu Wrote: Personally, I think the characters were awesome and thought the humor was hilarious (Masrani's humor especially). JW was a summer popcorn flick, an awesome one at that, so the writing wasn't going to be all great. I think you wanted too much from the movie.

I agree JW has the most un-JP feel but maybe that was a good thing as it got new fans to the franchise that might like action flicks that JW provided. There wasn't a JP film for years when JW was made so they had to adjust stuff for modern audiences.

I definitely wanted too much from it. No doubt about it. But I don't think the fact that it was a summer movie meant the writing had to suffer, or that it should be given a pass. There's really no excuse; if not Trevorrow or Connolly, someone should've caught the weaker stuff at some point during production. 

There's nothing wrong with it being an action film, either — the stuff in between the action just needed to be stronger.
@JHNMCHLTNR | The JHN behind @thejhnfiles. Patiently waiting for Jurassic Park to become a reality.
Most popcorn summer movies don't usually have great writing and that's fine if the movie is fun. The entertainment element is the most important factor for those kind of movies and JW was in that category.

There are many types of movies and for a lot the writing is very important but for movies like JW most audiences just want to have fun watching it.

Now some popcorn movies make you think afterwards and have great writing (JP for example) and hopefully JW2/JP5 is like that but if not I'll still most likely very much enjoy the film.
(05-11-2017, 08:18 PM)Dr. Wu Wrote: Now some popcorn movies make you think afterwards and have great writing (JP for example) and hopefully JW2/JP5 is like that but if not I'll still most likely very much enjoy the film.

Amen. I'm not saying I want something incredibly complex/highbrow — just something on par with the original, with characters whose actions/dialogue seem credible. For me, Jurassic World wasn't that film, but I hope the sequel can be.