Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jurassic World Anniversary Thread
Can you believe it has been one year already since Jurassic World was released (in the United States at least)? Technically it was released June 12th, but as with many modern film releases, many got to see it a night prior, making it actually released on the same day as the 22 year anniversary of Jurassic Park.

I was among those many people to see it that night, at Universal Studios Hollywood after an incredible day at the theme park, which of course included riding Jurassic Park- The Ride. The IMAX at the Citywalk that showed the film was PACKED with people, many of which wore Jurassic-related attire and costumes. Speaking of costumes, the theater lobby hosted Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard's costumes for all to see, along with the actual gyrosphere prop in front of the theater itself. It was perhaps one of the funnest days of my life. Despite going alone, I did meet some awesome people, including this site's very own ChrisLikesDinos!

Did you see the film today, June 11th? Or did you see it on its proper June 12th release, or some other day? What was your experience?

[Image: JW01%2003.JPG]

Additional photos available of the day, if desired.
I saw it at the very first screening at my local cinema at 11am June 11th last year.

I was nervous because I wasn't a fan of the general plot that knew off and I really hoped the film didn't suck. While I was glad it didn't suck I really felt it was a film of missed opportunities and what could have been's.

Overall, it was a very good day to remember.
Simon Masrani Wrote:“The key to a happy life is to accept you are never actually in control.”
It's funny you say that! I kind of felt the same way. I liked it a lot, but left the theater feeling like "well, I just wish there had been MORE." Not more in length, but just more with its story and opportunities, like you said. Like instead of focusing on the Hoskins stuff (which NO ONE cared about), we should have seen more of the park, be it simple attraction sequences or even thrilling action like, oh I don't know... an action sequence with the monorail? I know they had one kind of planned, but got jettisoned (unwisely imo). Mostly stuff like that. I think what hurts is that I think it is safe to say the park is definitely closed (as even the soundtrack cue says), and Colin makes it clear the franchise is heading in a new direction, so our chance for these opportunities to ever happen again in a film is incredibly unlikely. Now, a TV series or mini-series...

The thing I remembered, however, was that it had been 14 years since the last Jurassic Park film. That is a LOT of time to anticipate and, for most fans, write their own sequel either literally in or in their heads. I certainly had my own ideas of what the film should be over the years, and once the "new park" plot was revealed, my mind went absolutely spinning with the possibilities. The film managed to capture only a portion of those, and I think that was where my disappointment lied. However, the very next day, when I saw the film again, removing expectation, I honestly liked it a LOT more.

After a year, I still like it. I think at one point I said I loved it, and in some ways I do, but I think I love it more for the experience AROUND the film, like the one I mentioned at the start of this thread. With so much anticipation from everyone, it was bound to be a "event" that I don't think will be replicated with the next entry, no matter the quality of the film. So this film is very special to me, because of that.
I saw it  a couple days before the national release, at a special fundraiser screening at the Museum of the Rockies in Montana. There was a VIP event was pretty cool. It was held at the museum so people were mingling and having champagne and food amongst all the big dinosaur skeletons and sculptures.  I got to meet Frank Marshall, Kathleen Kennedy, Jack Horner, and some really cool fellow JP fans.  I wrote about the experience more in depth at my blog, if anyone cares to read it: http://jurassiraptor.tumblr.com/post/122...ssic-world

I was completely blown away by Jurassic World the first time I saw it; just in awe of everything and seeing everything come together on the screen. Even a year later I still think it's my second favorite movie of the franchise, behind only the original Jurassic Park.

[Image: tumblr_inline_nqj7repuzI1r9lwfp_500.jpg]
Follow me on Tumblr ~ Twitter ~ Instagram ~ YouTube
Happy 1 year to all my fellow JP fans. I can't believe it has been a year already either! I saw it a few days early at a special IMAX screening. I wish I could have made it to the global premiere! My inner child came out and I was so anxious and happy that I couldn't believe after all these years (14 OUCH) that a new Jurassic film has finally come out. And it was a good movie too! Every new JP film brings something new to the universe and gives us fans a lot to discuss and geek out over.

I ended up seeing the film at least 8 times in theaters before it went out and each time offered something new; a little Easter egg that I missed, or a piece of dialogue that I didn't catch the first time around, etc.

Cheers to everyone for the first anniversary even though it sneaked up on us so fast!
(06-11-2016, 03:23 PM)scallenger Wrote: It's funny you say that! I kind of felt the same way. I liked it a lot, but left the theater feeling like "well, I just wish there had been MORE." Not more in length, but just more with its story and opportunities, like you said. Like instead of focusing on the Hoskins stuff (which NO ONE cared about), we should have seen more of the park, be it simple attraction sequences or even thrilling action like, oh I don't know... an action sequence with the monorail? I know they had one kind of planned, but got jettisoned (unwisely imo). Mostly stuff like that. I think what hurts is that I think it is safe to say the park is definitely closed (as even the soundtrack cue says), and Colin makes it clear the franchise is heading in a new direction, so our chance for these opportunities to ever happen again in a film is incredibly unlikely. Now, a TV series or mini-series...

The thing I remembered, however, was that it had been 14 years since the last Jurassic Park film. That is a LOT of time to anticipate and, for most fans, write their own sequel either literally in or in their heads. I certainly had my own ideas of what the film should be over the years, and once the "new park" plot was revealed, my mind went absolutely spinning with the possibilities. The film managed to capture only a portion of those, and I think that was where my disappointment lied. However, the very next day, when I saw the film again, removing expectation, I honestly liked it a LOT more.

After a year, I still like it. I think at one point I said I loved it, and in some ways I do, but I think I love it more for the experience AROUND the film, like the one I mentioned at the start of this thread. With so much anticipation from everyone, it was bound to be a "event" that I don't think will be replicated with the next entry, no matter the quality of the film. So this film is very special to me, because of that.

I know each fan puts their own high expectations on a film which they have been waiting for for 14 years but I still feel it now. There was a lot of potential to do new things, explore elements of the novel that JP didn't like the boat down the river, I like the monorail attack idea.

I am still disappointed by some of the characters. Hamanda could have been Muldoon 2.0 and in a park of that size I think a general overseer of the dinosaurs would be a prominent figure in the control room or at least hunting down the escaped dinosaur. I also dislike Hoskins whole role, he is basically a poorly written Disney villain who was written in to die. Which is a shame because I like Vincent D'onofrio.

With regard to the whole ''new park'' thing, I was absolutely against the idea as it kind of takes the whole ''life finds a way'' element away, but I got used to the new park idea. I am still 100% against the hybrid idea. I'm more for the idea of trying to improve the current stock of dinosaurs like what we see discussed in the novel.

Overall, I enjoyed the move for what it was. It is better than JP3 as a whole and is my third favourite Jurassic film.
Simon Masrani Wrote:“The key to a happy life is to accept you are never actually in control.”
I saw it on the 11th with a group of friends at the local cinema. It was a great experience, but I remember coming out and I honestly did not know what to think. I enjoyed it, but I think I just couldn't comprehend that after 14 years, we actually had a JP4. Took a few more watches for my opinion on it to really form.

EDIT: I remember there was a thunderstorm the day we went to see it. That was perfect.
We were a little ahead of the (North) American folks down here in Europe; and going to the midnight premiere gave us the chance to see it almost a full day before it was released in the US.

Like everyone else, I was excited and a little restless the day(s) before. Excited to see a new Jurassic Park film, but worried it would not live up to expectations.

The auditorium (Imax, 3D) was packed - my boyfriend came with me and was surprised so many people had come to the cinema at midnight to see this film. Quite a few people were wearing Jurassic Park T-shirts (myself included), and one person brought an Indominus rex toy. Sitting in the back row he could hold it up in front of the projector, making the shadow of the dinosaur appear on the screen. (Rest assured, he did it before the film started - not during!)

It was a thrill when the film started and the music began. I had quite a few "edge of my seat" moments, not in the least because there were some familiar locations to be spotted - and Masrani's helicopter was the same model I flew with when visiting Kauai in 2009!

Afterwards, I couldn't get into bed right away, but had to share the experience on Twitter (obviously without spoiling it for those who hadn't seen the film yet).

I saw it two more times in the cinema; once on my own and in 2D, and with my brother and his girlfriend in Imax 3D.

It was one of the best evenings/ nights for me, even if the film didn't deliver everything I had hoped for. The excitement and anticipation alone were worth the effort of going at midnight, though!
I saw it on the 11th at 8:30 in Dickson City, PA. Two days later, I got married. It was a really great few days. Some people would be stressing over wedding plans... but I was at the theater enjoying a great installment in the JP series.

I've been watching the film a lot lately and enjoy it more than ever. I love the film. So much. I think mixed in with my wedding weekend, this film brings back great memories.
Wow! That is an impressive way to tie it in with your life. It'll forever have value for you in your memories.

The final (and 10th time) I saw Jurassic World in theaters was at a discount theater near where I live. It was special because it was actually the one theater (originally saw it at a drive-in) I saw the original Jurassic Park at in 1993 (and also JP 3D re-release). Being a discount theater, it was of course a bit grungy. I call it the "grindhouse experience" because they still either used film prints or converted digital to film, and Jurassic World was no exception. It had dirt specks and lines and etc, and even the opening titles sequence was only heard but not seen until right when we arrive at the house in the snow. The lights in the theater literally went off and on before then, and even made a loud sparking sound scaring the crap out of us. It was beautiful.

The theater actually closed down about two months after seeing it there. I drove past the empty building the other day, and they still haven't done anything with it. It's no more than a ruin, like the old Visitor's Center. Sure, it had become quite a crappy theater, but that was part of its charm. And it was so cheap, so easy to see movies I usually wouldn't pay full price to see and sometimes be surprised, and such a nice escape during the summer heat, that I seldom cared. It was all part of the experience, even if it wasn't the greatest. So it was kind of full-circle that I saw the very first Jurassic Park film and ended with the most recent one; and as far as I'm concerned, the last to really have anything to do with the park. It was completely symbolic, in a number of ways for me:

The park was definitely closed.