Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else bothered by how TLW suffers from Titanic and Avatar syndome?
What I mean by that is that it has become one of those films that when it was released back in 1997 I remember most people liking it very much.

But since the era of YouTube, from around 2006ish forward, the internet acts like it was this forgettable sequel that nobody really cared for or liked when it was released. And if you try to argue that it is as good as the first one nowadays you get the ´´You have poor taste in films´´ speech.

This has always shocked me. From 1997 to around 2005 I thought JP and TLW got the same amount of respect and praise. And it bothers me becaue there is a big protion of the fanbase that considers it at least very close to the first one. So why does the internet act like literaly everyone hates it ?

Anybody else notice this?
Link to the T Rex Spinosaurus rematch petition in Jurassic World 2 that Colin Trevorrow noted. We hope everyone joins and help us share it.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-hav...920665797/
I have noticed that as well. People really hate on TLW and the same is happening now with JW. I absolutely love TLW and absolutely do not get the hate for that film. I've had a lot of great discussions lately about how great TLW is and how people are really missing the point. I do my best to try to course correct people, haha.

Avatar is another one that people absolutely kill. Obviously, similarly to JW it made a ton of money and people definitely loved the film upon release. So what happened? Within the film community, there has been a ton of discussion on whether or not Avatar is
culturally relevant" or not. It was for a while, but not so much any more. Take Star Wars for instance, that is and has been culturally relevant since it came out. It's never not been talked about, collected, or admired. Avatar, which was the biggest movie of all time has already been forgotten and dismissed. It's a very strange situation.

I think all that will change in the next few years. There's going to be an unending amount of sequels and the debut of Pandora in Disney's Animal Kingdom. It's very near to becoming "culturally relevant" in a big way.
I think it's just the loud minority. People on the internet bitch about anything and everything. All that matters is if you like it.
[Image: 6vIXy1e.jpg]
You're not wrong. TLW was a huge part of a lot of our childhoods, along with JP of course. It was well received for the most part and audiences loved it.

But now suddenly, there are enough YouTube videos of people criticizing it. I think they're just jumping on the bandwagon, because there are other entries in the franchise that fall behind TLW. But then again, film is subjective!
(06-15-2016, 10:24 PM)Jack Wrote: You're not wrong. TLW was a huge part of a lot of our childhoods, along with JP of course. It was well received for the most part and audiences loved it.

But now suddenly, there are enough YouTube videos of people criticizing it. I think they're just jumping on the bandwagon, because there are other entries in the franchise that fall behind TLW. But then again, film is subjective!

Yeah but it´s the whole revisionist history thing that´s weird.

Most YouTube reviewers were alive in the 1990´s  and can remember how TLW was as big of a phenomenon as the first one. Yet most of them act like it was this big mess that no one cared for.
Link to the T Rex Spinosaurus rematch petition in Jurassic World 2 that Colin Trevorrow noted. We hope everyone joins and help us share it.

(06-16-2016, 03:35 AM)Rex Revenge Wrote: Most YouTube reviewers were alive in the 1990´s  and can remember how TLW was as big of a phenomenon as the first one. Yet most of them act like it was this big mess that no one cared for.

Wasn't it the movie of the year? Movie event of the year? I remember seeing videos of theaters absolutely filled with people, Jurassic fans.
(06-16-2016, 01:50 PM)Jack Wrote:
(06-16-2016, 03:35 AM)Rex Revenge Wrote: Most YouTube reviewers were alive in the 1990´s  and can remember how TLW was as big of a phenomenon as the first one. Yet most of them act like it was this big mess that no one cared for.

Wasn't it the movie of the year? Movie event of the year? I remember seeing videos of theaters absolutely filled with people, Jurassic fans.

Yeah, and I clearly remember everyone liking it and praising it.

Wich is why it bothers me so much to see so many internet reviewers saying that ´´It is considered the worst film of the franchise´´

In fact I have seen people saying one of the reasons the movie ´´sucks so much´´ is the gymnastics moment . Wich is only like a few seconds long...

I never had a problema at all with that moment, never understood why it gets that much hatred.

I understand The Lost World's flaws now more (and I really think they should have included the deleted scenes!) but I actually really love it now. It is unique!
(06-20-2016, 07:44 PM)Xander21 Wrote: I understand The Lost World's flaws now more (and I really think they should have included the deleted scenes!) but I actually really love it now. It is unique!

I really disagree with the ´´flaws´´ that some claim TLW has.

The movie had Malcolm, Hammond, Lex and Tim back. More dinosaurs, gives even more glory to the T Rex species. Has plenty of action, characters, and new stuff while keeping that JP feel.  Great special effects.... John Williams great score....

Most of the same elements of the first one while taking it to a slightly darker tone...

I've always loved Titanic and never got what made Avatar so great. I saw the latter twice, once in cinema (2D) and once on DVD - I bought it to give it a second chance, but all I did was glance at my watch.

Personally, I can see why the enthusiasm for Avatar would fizzle out. It's not very original. Obviously, it creates a fantastical world people can find themselves lost in - but it's hardly new (elements from the classic Pocahontas tale and Dances With Wolves are often pointed out as an inspiration for Cameron's film) and the waining appreciation might have to do with the promised sequels never having seen the light of day (so far).

With Titanic, it's different. It's a stand-alone film. This film too has a very simplistic story (Romeo and Juliette), and Caledon Hockley is far too villainous to be believable - even for the time period.

What it does right, and this part holds up very well, is setting the fictional story on board of the actual ship. The scenes exploring the real wreck, and of the collision and the following evacuation and sinking are impressive, haunting even. The combination of romance, drama and action makes for a film most people can enjoy (or parts of it).

There will always be people who'll love these films and defend them with everything the've got; and there are those who will dislike them and discredit them. The Lost World: Jurassic Park is no different. Some people in the audience seem to expect reality in a film that's a mix of science fiction and fantasy.

As a sequel, The Lost World: Jurassic Park does a more than adequate job. While Jurassic Park was an isolated incident, with very few witnesses, there was much more at stake in the second film. There's clashes between the different human characters (Malcolm vs. Hammond, Ludlow vs. Malcolm, Ludlow vs. Tembo, etc.) and though it presents the "gatherers" as the good guys and the "hunters" as the bad, the distinction isn't all too clear. Would people have died, had Nick and Sarah not released the captured dinosaurs? The INGEN team only captured herbivores (the two Compys aside); Ludlow might have been arrogant, he wasn't entirely stupid.

The film has good dialogues, impressive visual effects (the stampede, the Tyrannosaurs), excellent animatronics (the baby Tyrannosaurus) and a wonderful score.

Why some people consider this the worst out of the four films is beyond my comprehension (it's not perfect, but what film ever is?); everyone has their preference and personal taste, is all I can say about the matter.

As for me, I might change my opinion on a film, or music, or anything in general, but going from loving or enjoying it to outright despising, has never happened to me.