Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else bothered by how TLW suffers from Titanic and Avatar syndome?
If anything, since Jurassic Park 3 and Jurassic World my love for The Lost World keeps growing higher. It is already probably my favorite movie of all time.

But the reason why I appreciate it more since the other 2 sequels is that it is the only sequel that actually said ´´Yeah, we know the T Rex is everyones icon, let´s give it even more respect and glory´´.

Unlike JP3 who was way too busy doing everyithing in their power to one up the Rex species, and then JW did more or less the same thing.
Link to the T Rex Spinosaurus rematch petition in Jurassic World 2 that Colin Trevorrow noted. We hope everyone joins and help us share it.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-hav...920665797/
This has happened with a handful of films. I made a list of films I remember most people thinking highly of for all of my young life that all of a sudden get tons of backlash.

-TLW
-Titanic
-Return of the Jedi
-Temple of Doom
-Ghostbusters 2
-Back To the Future 2

I don't consider Avatar to be part of this trend, as I remember plenty of people (online at least) disliking it from the start.

TLW does have issues that have become more apparent as I got older. The character of Nick is simply poorly written and the message I hear some fans say he was meant to convey simply does not compute within the context of the film. But other than that I still think it's an expertly mounted sequel.
I disagree with most here and I think I can give an unbiased take on what happened.

TLW has been seen as a bad movie on the internet since the early 00's and looking back it really was. Most of the JP fandom seems to love TLW however I've also noticed that the age of the JP fandom is a little younger than me and you're more forgiving towards stuff when you're younger. I was still a kid when TLW came out but a little bit older and had more diverse interests even if still a huge fan and after TLW came out I was so happy with the movie but it didn't leave me as excited as JP had, but not only that; JP stuff and discussion was still everywhere for years after the movie came out but after TLW came out the merchandise didn't last very long and neither did it's relevance in different media. In my experience most casual JP fans agree that TLW is not a good movie, it's not one of those bandwagon things that everyone hates because "it's cool" to hate on the internet like say the Star Wars prequels or Godzilla 98 and you can't have a different opinion. People just seem to dislike it but if you like it there's no negative backlash like with the previous examples.

I think that's also why I disagree with the fandom with JP///, when I saw it I was in my early teens and it was a nice nostalgia ride but most of you where now in that older kid phase. Now as adults we all see each other around the same agebut 2-3 years makes a huge difference when you're a kid and your perspective of stuff.

As far as Titanic that movie is still very highly regarded, I don't know what you're talking about and Avatar when I watched it I liked it but I've never been compelled to really discuss it or watch it again, I don't understand how it became so huge because it really was nothing that special even if it isn't bad but yeah it is indeed forgettable since there really isn't much talk for that movie anymore, we'll see what impact it actually had when the sequels come out.
(11-28-2016, 01:24 AM)sdp Wrote: I disagree with most here and I think I can give an unbiased take on what happened.

TLW has been seen as a bad movie on the internet since the early 00's and looking back it really was. Most of the JP fandom seems to love TLW however I've also noticed that the age of the JP fandom is a little younger than me and you're more forgiving towards stuff when you're younger. I was still a kid when TLW came out but a little bit older and had more diverse interests even if still a huge fan and after TLW came out I was so happy with the movie but it didn't leave me as excited as JP had, but not only that; JP stuff and discussion was still everywhere for years after the movie came out but after TLW came out the merchandise didn't last very long and neither did it's relevance in different media. In my experience most casual JP fans agree that TLW is not a good movie, it's not one of those bandwagon things that everyone hates because "it's cool" to hate on the internet like say the Star Wars prequels or Godzilla 98 and you can't have a different opinion. People just seem to dislike it but if you like it there's no negative backlash like with the previous examples.

I think that's also why I disagree with the fandom with JP///, when I saw it I was in my early teens and it was a nice nostalgia ride but most of you where now in that older kid phase. Now as adults we all see each other around the same agebut 2-3 years makes a huge difference when you're a kid and your perspective of stuff.

As far as Titanic that movie is still very highly regarded, I don't know what you're talking about and Avatar when I watched it I liked it but I've never been compelled to really discuss it or watch it again, I don't understand how it became so huge because it really was nothing that special even if it isn't bad but yeah it is indeed forgettable since there really isn't much talk for that movie anymore, we'll see what impact it actually had when the sequels come out.
Not to sound confrontational or snarky, but your analysis is just as subjective as ours. 

Personal experience tends to cloud perception and judgment. My experience for example, aligns with everyone else's. I don't remember anybody disliking or hating TLW when it came out. I remember all the adult figures in my life liking it and of course all of my classmates loving it-some more than the first. As a kid I had a period where TLW was my favorite. 

What the reality is, is that TLW is probably a film that's mildly enjoyed with a genuinely mixed reaction by the general public with a much stronger reception within the fanbase. For what it's worth, I don't know anybody in real life who actually hates the film. Some like it, some think it's just ok. All agree it's better than JPIII.

And I'd like to point out that your perception of Titanic is pretty skewed. Titanic was EXTREMELY popular to hate for a very long time. Even today you'll still come across people pissing on Titanic. I know I just contradicted myself by asserting my personal experience as fact...but I think I'm safe because the Titanic hate was so strong that you can't deny it happened.
(11-28-2016, 01:24 AM)sdp Wrote: I disagree with most here and I think I can give an unbiased take on what happened.

I disagree with the notion that a movie is really actually bad or good. Art is relative and subjective to every persons personal taste. What´s good in your book might not be good by my standards. To me TLW was as good as JP when I was a kid and still is now that I am an adult. So I also disagree with the whole being an adult makes you see the ´´bad´´ in it.

But the thing is, it´s not so much about how much me or you like TLW. But about how the internet has spread the notion that nobody likes TLW. When the reality is, that it is arguably still the most liked JP sequel.

By the way, speaking of films that were very liked when they first came out only to have everyone throwing dirt at them later... We can add The Force Awakens to that list.

When it first came out it was ´´Yeah, Star Wars is back!´´ And now everyone is like ´´We all knew it sucked´´, ´´Copy of A New Hope´´, ´´Rey is a Mary Sue´´ ext...
Link to the T Rex Spinosaurus rematch petition in Jurassic World 2 that Colin Trevorrow noted. We hope everyone joins and help us share it.

I remember being a kid when TLW came out. Everyone in my age bracket seemed to love it. As I grew older, I started to notice that it wasn't nearly as highly regarded as JP.

That being said, I think that TLW has had somewhat of a renaissance in recent years, as it seems to be looked upon more fondly these days.
The Gymnastics scene is just like the heels scene in JW. EVERYONE talks about it like it's some massive flaw, but it's only a few seconds in the actual film. Ask anyone what they thought of JW that isn't a fan and they'll bring up the heels. do the same with TLW and the gymnastics scene will get brought up.
(03-13-2017, 01:59 PM)Tyrant Lizard Wrote: That being said, I think that TLW has had somewhat of a renaissance in recent years, as it seems to be looked upon more fondly these days.

Really? Where? (I am genuinely curious). Because the most positive I see from YouTube and other reviewers is them acting like they kinda like the film but as a guilty pleasure that they really should be very ashamed for liking.

(03-15-2017, 01:56 AM)NeonMediaKJT Wrote: The Gymnastics scene is just like the heels scene in JW. EVERYONE talks about it like it's some massive flaw, but it's only a few seconds in the actual film. Ask anyone what they thought of JW that isn't a fan and they'll bring up the heels. do the same with TLW and the gymnastics scene will get brought up.

This, so much. Thank you. People hate the gymnastics scene even 20 years later nonstop like it was some kind of massive plothole that ruins the franchise when Jurassic World is the one that actually has a massive plothole that no one ever talks about (Mosasaurus being able to get out of it´s lagoon into mainstreet is a huge park flaw that would kill hundreds of guests over the years) but Jurassic World gets Little hate compared to TLW.

The gymnastics scene has genuinely never bothered me.
(03-15-2017, 08:12 AM)Rex Revenge Wrote:
(03-13-2017, 01:59 PM)Tyrant Lizard Wrote: That being said, I think that TLW has had somewhat of a renaissance in recent years, as it seems to be looked upon more fondly these days.

Really? Where? (I am genuinely curious). Because the most positive I see from YouTube and other reviewers is them acting like they kinda like the film but as a guilty pleasure that they really should be very ashamed for liking.

(03-15-2017, 01:56 AM)NeonMediaKJT Wrote: The Gymnastics scene is just like the heels scene in JW. EVERYONE talks about it like it's some massive flaw, but it's only a few seconds in the actual film. Ask anyone what they thought of JW that isn't a fan and they'll bring up the heels. do the same with TLW and the gymnastics scene will get brought up.

This, so much. Thank you. People hate the gymnastics scene even 20 years later nonstop like it was some kind of massive plothole that ruins the franchise when Jurassic World is the one that actually has a massive plothole that no one ever talks about (Mosasaurus being able to get out of it´s lagoon into mainstreet is a huge park flaw that would kill hundreds of guests over the years) but Jurassic World gets Little hate compared to TLW.

I think they're both hated on a bit harshly, tbh.