Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else bothered by how TLW suffers from Titanic and Avatar syndome?
(03-15-2017, 04:05 PM)NeonMediaKJT Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 08:12 AM)Rex Revenge Wrote:
(03-13-2017, 01:59 PM)Tyrant Lizard Wrote: That being said, I think that TLW has had somewhat of a renaissance in recent years, as it seems to be looked upon more fondly these days.

Really? Where? (I am genuinely curious). Because the most positive I see from YouTube and other reviewers is them acting like they kinda like the film but as a guilty pleasure that they really should be very ashamed for liking.

(03-15-2017, 01:56 AM)NeonMediaKJT Wrote: The Gymnastics scene is just like the heels scene in JW. EVERYONE talks about it like it's some massive flaw, but it's only a few seconds in the actual film. Ask anyone what they thought of JW that isn't a fan and they'll bring up the heels. do the same with TLW and the gymnastics scene will get brought up.

This, so much. Thank you. People hate the gymnastics scene even 20 years later nonstop like it was some kind of massive plothole that ruins the franchise when Jurassic World is the one that actually has a massive plothole that no one ever talks about (Mosasaurus being able to get out of it´s lagoon into mainstreet is a huge park flaw that would kill hundreds of guests over the years) but Jurassic World gets Little hate compared to TLW.

I think they're both hated on a bit harshly, tbh.

I agree. They're not perfect films, but I enjoy watching them every single time.
(03-15-2017, 07:25 PM)RichardLevine Wrote:
(03-13-2017, 01:59 PM)Tyrant Lizard Wrote: That being said, I think that TLW has had somewhat of a renaissance in recent years, as it seems to be looked upon more fondly these days.

Really? Where? (I am genuinely curious). Because the most positive I see from YouTube and other reviewers is them acting like they kinda like the film but as a guilty pleasure that they really should be very ashamed for liking.

(03-15-2017, 01:56 AM)NeonMediaKJT Wrote: The Gymnastics scene is just like the heels scene in JW. EVERYONE talks about it like it's some massive flaw, but it's only a few seconds in the actual film. Ask anyone what they thought of JW that isn't a fan and they'll bring up the heels. do the same with TLW and the gymnastics scene will get brought up.

This, so much. Thank you. People hate the gymnastics scene even 20 years later nonstop like it was some kind of massive plothole that ruins the franchise when Jurassic World is the one that actually has a massive plothole that no one ever talks about (Mosasaurus being able to get out of it´s lagoon into mainstreet is a huge park flaw that would kill hundreds of guests over the years) but Jurassic World gets Little hate compared to TLW.

I agree. They're not perfect films, but I enjoy watching them every single time.
No film is perfect, doesn't stop them from being two my favourite films of all time haha

(03-15-2017, 09:24 PM)NeonMediaKJT Wrote:

No film is perfect, doesn't stop them from being two my favourite films of all time haha

There are actually a few films that I consider to be perfect. Such as my favorite film of all time, Raiders of the Lost Ark, which I consider a flawless film.
(03-15-2017, 09:54 PM)RichardLevine Wrote:

(03-15-2017, 08:12 AM)Rex Revenge Wrote: Really? Where? (I am genuinely curious). Because the most positive I see from YouTube and other reviewers is them acting like they kinda like the film but as a guilty pleasure that they really should be very ashamed for liking.

There are actually a few films that I consider to be perfect. Such as my favorite film of all time, Raiders of the Lost Ark, which I consider a flawless film.
Un-popular opinion, but I prefer The Temple Of Doom.
(03-15-2017, 11:03 PM)NeonMediaKJT Wrote:

(03-15-2017, 04:05 PM)NeonMediaKJT Wrote: I think they're both hated on a bit harshly, tbh.

That's great! I actually really like Temple of Doom, despite some of the hate it gets. I think it's one of the most underrated movies of all time and I don't know if I like it or the Last Crusade (my first Indy movie) better. The original Indy trilogy is fantastic and I love all three of the movies. Crystal Skull is okay and I can actually defend some of the stuff people usually criticize. My biggest problem with that movie is actually the CGI. The original Indy movies were made like the serials it was based off, only on a bigger budget. Crystal Skull's effects ruin that charm the series had up to that point.

From what I have seen.....With Jurassic World it´s more like many many people have pointed out how un realistic the running in heels thing is and how the movie is supposedly sexist rather than almost everybody literaly feeling hatred for it. Although there are some who do really hate it.

Or at least that´s how it seems with the general audience, among the hardcore fanbase opinions are divided some love it, others genuinely loathe it. but my point is that it´s overall reputation is not that of a film that is honestly hated by most (like say JP3), if anything it is some general audiences being ok with calling it the best sequel despite some people feeling honest hate for it.

TLW´s reputation on the other hand is more like everyone on the internet acts like it was this very very forgettable film that nobody cared for because it had nothing noteworthy in it. Anthough I have seem some hate it for being ´´boring´´ and enjoying JP3 more because of its straightforward fast pace.

So with TLW the internet is like ´´Yeah it is a fact that it is a bad movie´´ despite not getting Star Wars prequels level of reputation wich the internet acts like they literaly ruined everyone´s childhood.
Link to the T Rex Spinosaurus rematch petition in Jurassic World 2 that Colin Trevorrow noted. We hope everyone joins and help us share it.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-hav...920665797/
(03-15-2017, 11:17 PM)RichardLevine Wrote:

(03-15-2017, 07:25 PM)RichardLevine Wrote: I agree. They're not perfect films, but I enjoy watching them every single time.

That's great! I actually really like Temple of Doom, despite some of the hate it gets. I think it's one of the most underrated movies of all time and I don't know if I like it or the Last Crusade (my first Indy movie) better. The original Indy trilogy is fantastic and I love all three of the movies. Crystal Skull is okay and I can actually defend some of the stuff people usually criticize. My biggest problem with that movie is actually the CGI. The original Indy movies were made like the serials it was based off, only on a bigger budget. Crystal Skull's effects ruin that charm the series had up to that point.

They're all really good films! I don't mind Crystal Skull, it was a really fun movie. Each have their distinguishable positives. Is it just me that thinks Sean Connery would play a really good John Hammond?

(03-16-2017, 09:41 AM)Rex Revenge Wrote:

From what I have seen.....With Jurassic World it´s more like many people have pointed out how un realistic the running in heels thing is and how the movie is supposedly sexist rather than that many people literaly feeling hatred for it.

Or at least that´s how it seems with the general audience, among the hardcore fanbase opinions are divided some love it, others genuinely loathe it. but my point is that it´s overall reputation is not that of a very hated film (like say JP3), if anything it is most general audiences beinh ok with calling it the best sequel despite some people feeling honest hate for it.

TLW´s reputation on the other hand is more like everyone on the internet acts like it was this very very forgettable film that nobody cared for because it had nothing noteworthy in it. Anthough I have seem some hate it for being ´´boring´´ and enjoying JP3 more because of its straightforward fast pace.

So with TLW the internet is like ´´Yeah it is a fact that it is a bad movie´´ despite not getting Star Wars prequels level of reputation wich the internet acts like they literaly ruined everyone´s childhood.

Oh yeah, definitely. It gets a crazy amount of criticisms. Some people talk about it like it's Alien Ressurection or something
(03-16-2017, 08:04 PM)NeonMediaKJT Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 11:17 PM)RichardLevine Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 08:12 AM)Rex Revenge Wrote: Really? Where? (I am genuinely curious). Because the most positive I see from YouTube and other reviewers is them acting like they kinda like the film but as a guilty pleasure that they really should be very ashamed for liking.

(03-15-2017, 09:24 PM)NeonMediaKJT Wrote: No film is perfect, doesn't stop them from being two my favourite films of all time haha

They're all really good films! I don't mind Crystal Skull, it was a really fun movie. Each have their distinguishable positives. Is it just me that thinks Sean Connery would play a really good John Hammond?

(03-16-2017, 09:41 AM)Rex Revenge Wrote:

From what I have seen.....With Jurassic World it´s more like many people have pointed out how un realistic the running in heels thing is and how the movie is supposedly sexist rather than that many people literaly feeling hatred for it.

Or at least that´s how it seems with the general audience, among the hardcore fanbase opinions are divided some love it, others genuinely loathe it. but my point is that it´s overall reputation is not that of a very hated film (like say JP3), if anything it is most general audiences beinh ok with calling it the best sequel despite some people feeling honest hate for it.

Oh yeah, definitely. It gets a crazy amount of criticisms. Some people talk about it like it's Alien Ressurection or something

I have even seen people nitpick TLW simply because it does not have the ´´Awe´´ factor that JP had...

It´s like...dude people have already seen the dinosaurs for the first time so the novelty factor passed.
Link to the T Rex Spinosaurus rematch petition in Jurassic World 2 that Colin Trevorrow noted. We hope everyone joins and help us share it.

I think it's the gaze of nostalgia. I agree that it is a really good movie and vastly underrated but it seems people forget that it did not do well critically when it was first released. The majority of film critics didn't like it then and it usually takes a long time for the opinions of critics to change their minds. Sometimes you get a situation like Blade Runner where the reviews weren't too good and then after a decade or so people considered it one of the best science fiction films of all time, but that's usually not the case. So this isn't the Titanic or Avatar syndrome, this was always viewed negatively by critics and still is.

What I do find bizarre though is the people who like Jurassic Park 3 more than The Lost World, which is a lot more common than I initially thought.
(03-18-2017, 06:13 PM)evolution_rex Wrote: but it seems people forget that it did not do well critically when it was first released. The majority of film critics didn't like it then and it usually takes a long time for the opinions of critics to change their minds. Sometimes you get a situation like Blade Runner where the reviews weren't too good and then after a decade or so people considered it one of the best science fiction films of all time, but that's usually not the case. So this isn't the Titanic or Avatar syndrome, this was always viewed negatively by critics and still is.

TLW did do well critically when it premiered. Many film critics did like TLW and gave it positive reviews when it premiered back in 1997.

´´Kevin Thomas of the Los Angeles Times saw improved character development over the original, saying, "It seemed such a mistake in Jurassic Park to sideline early on its most interesting character, the brilliant, free-thinking and outspoken theorist Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) with a broken leg, but in its most inspired stroke, The Lost World brings back Malcolm and places him front and center," calling it "a pleasure to watch such wily pros as Goldblum and Attenborough spar with each other with wit and assurance."[47] The dinosaurs were even more developed as characters, with Stephen Holden of the New York Times saying, "The Lost World, unlike Jurassic Park, humanizes its monsters in a way that E.T. would understand."[48] Owen Gleiberman of Entertainment Weekly gave the film a B grade; he remarked, "Mr. T-Rex was cool in the first Spielberg flick, sure, but it wasn't until [it was in] San Diego that things got crazy-cool. It's the old 'tree falling in the woods' conundrum: Unless your giant monster is causing massive property damage, can you really call it a giant monster?"[49]´´

So it is safe to say that many critics, and many of both hardcore and casual fans did at the very least like TLW when it premiered in 1997. So this is not a case of a film that was hated by everybody when it premiered and still is hated. It is a case of a film that was at the very least liked in 1997 but for some reason in recent years the internet has kept repeating the myth that no one liked TLW when it premiered as if it were a fact when it is far from reality.