Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dinosaurs on loan
We can quite safely assume there was only one Jurassic World, located on Isla Nublar, making it an exclusive destination people must travel to in order to see dinosaurs. 

Something I have been thinking about is if Masrani or INGEN (whoever owns the animals) would loan dinosaurs to zoos around the world, akin to China's Pandas being send around the globe to be displayed. 

Obviously, they would not put their best and largest specimens on loan, for both financial and practical purposes, but what about smaller specimens, such as Compsognathus, Pachycephalosaurus, Microceratus, and possibly Gallimimus, or even dinosaurs specifically created for zoos to be shown to visitors? 

Not everyone will be able to afford a trip to Isla Nublar - bringing the dinosaurs to the people (much like Ludlow intended in The Lost World: Jurassic Park) would give many around the world the chance to get a glimpse of a living dinosaur.

One other real-life story gave me a bit of inspiration for this idea as well - it's the history of Dinamation (most of you will be familiar with their animatronics from the displays and exhibitions, or online and book imagery), and more specifically, the end.    

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinamation

Quote:At the end, under a cloud of financial mystery, over 700 American-made 'creatures' were left in limbo, scattered in science museums, trucks, and shipping containers across the United States and abroad. Some of the orphaned robots have become permanent parts of the displays in the museums that had shows running when the company folded. Other dinos were sold, lost, disassembled, disposed of, or recycled as spare parts for other dinos in better shape. Other final vestiges of Dinamation can be seen as ubiquitous uncredited photographs of the dinosaur robots and preproduction art, scattered in children's books, toy art, video backgrounds, and recycled magazine illustrations, as well as appearances in cinema, for example, Woody Allen's film, Alice. Images of the sculptures in process and in completed sculptures in museum displays are available online.

With Jurassic World in complete disarray, zoos around the world would be stuck with animals they would not be able to return to INGEN. It could be interesting to see what would happen. Would the dinosaurs be accepted, or still be considered truly exotic and become a burden to zoos, who might want to get rid of them? 

What do you guys think? Would INGEN or Masrani ship their dinosaurs to zoos all over the world to allow people a chance to see the animals? What if they'd send juveniles and after Jurassic World's evacuation they wouldn't be able to return them, and the smaller dinosaurs would need space to grow and live for a long time?  
This is a very interesting train of thought that I had not considered. I suppose it's possible that select specimens could have been placed on loan to zoos around the globe. But ultimately, I feel that if they did that, it would hurt the exclusivity of Jurassic World being the one place in the world you can go to see living, breathing dinosaurs. There's nothing in the movie to indicate that the park didn't do this, nor is there anything to go on that they did. So it's a prime topic to speculate on, but in my view, I don't think this would have happened. Aside from the exclusivity factor, they would also be making it easier for others to have access to dinosaurs and possibly clone them. I've always gotten the impression from the films that it was a pretty closely guarded secret... even in JW, Wu says they won't always be the only people who know how to make a dinosaur. To me this indicates that no one else has access yet, and that they probably have been trying to minimize the chance of this happening. At least of course, until Wu gets the embryos off of Nublar at the end.
(06-15-2016, 07:21 PM)Victoria Wrote: This is a very interesting train of thought that I had not considered. I suppose it's possible that select specimens could have been placed on loan to zoos around the globe. But ultimately, I feel that if they did that, it would hurt the exclusivity of Jurassic World being the one place in the world you can go to see living, breathing dinosaurs. There's nothing in the movie to indicate that the park didn't do this, nor is there anything to go on that they did. So it's a prime topic to speculate on, but in my view, I don't think this would have happened. Aside from the exclusivity factor, they would also be making it easier for others to have access to dinosaurs and possibly clone them. I've always gotten the impression from the films that it was a pretty closely guarded secret... even in JW, Wu says they won't always be the only people who know how to make a dinosaur. To me this indicates that no one else has access yet, and that they probably have been trying to minimize the chance of this happening. At least of course, until Wu gets the embryos off of Nublar at the end.

Oh, I agree, it's probably unlikely they would - it most likely would have meant specialized staff was needed to travel with the animals and care for them, security, the right conditions would have to be met... 

...but I do like the idea, even if implausible within the Jurassic Park universe. (There was discussion of miniature dinosaurs as pets in the original novel - Hammond rejected it but did mention Dodgson's name in that discussion with Wu; seems INGEN was aware of Biosyn's interest in the activities on Isla Sorna, and their knowledge of the dinosaurs. He didn't seem to give a damn about it.)  

On that note, what happened to the San Diego park? Do you think it was demolished or possibly refurbished?
(06-15-2016, 08:03 PM)Neelis Wrote: Oh, I agree, it's probably unlikely they would - it most likely would have meant specialized staff was needed to travel with the animals and care for them, security, the right conditions would have to be met... 

...but I do like the idea, even if implausible within the Jurassic Park universe. (There was discussion of miniature dinosaurs as pets in the original novel - Hammond rejected it but did mention Dodgson's name in that discussion with Wu; seems INGEN was aware of Biosyn's interest in the activities on Isla Sorna, and their knowledge of the dinosaurs. He didn't seem to give a damn about it.)  

On that note, what happened to the San Diego park? Do you think it was demolished or possibly refurbished?

Sure, I could see things moving that direction in the coming decades within the franchise. Of course, we may not see it last long enough for it to get to that point, but who knows! There could be pet dinos in JW2 for all we know.

That's a good question about the San Diego park. I'll have to take a peak next time I drive by the waterfront. :p

I'd like to think that perhaps it's still there, but there's probably no real reason for it to be. Plus, it could serve as a reminder of the time the T-Rex got loose and claimed lives. I'm especially curious, as I know most of us are, as to what happened to Isla Sorna. I suppose if Hammond's wishes were kept, it's still a dinosaur preserve.

I also liked how you mentioned Dinamation. I recall seeing their dinos in museums, the zoo, and even SeaWorld. I loved them as a child and was stoked that they used them in the Knowledge Adventure 3D Dinosaur Adventure CD-ROM edutainment game. Sad what happened to them by the end.