Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soundtrack from the old Visitors Center
Does anyone know where I could (legally, preferably) obtain the soundtrack from when Zac and Grey are in the old Visitors Center? The same music from this video, but in high quality.

Thanks in advance. Cool
Since this was never released officially I'd assume the only source would be an isolated rip from the BluRay... I've yet to see one appear yet though.
Jurassic Outpost Encyclopedia - Editor-in-Chief
Follow me on Twitter - @Part_Time_Hero
Wait, this music wasn't on the official release? I missed that. Anybody know why?
(06-28-2016, 06:01 PM)Jack Wrote: Wait, this music wasn't on the official release? I missed that. Anybody know why?

A few pieces of the OST are still to be officially released. These come suddenly to mind

- ACU Theme (just after Gray spots them from the monorail and before encountering the Indominus)
- Owen's first appearance 
- Visitor's Center scene
- Hoskins talks to Masrani-Masrani gets into the chopper
- Hoskins' team setting up the raptors (before Owen et al. arrive).

I'm forgetting some for sure. It's a shame though, the OST was released almost complete. Same happened with the 20 anniversary JP special too... almost complete. But not all, for some unkown reason to me.
Very odd. Maybe they're planning an extended release down the line.

But I doubt it!
(07-03-2016, 07:11 PM)Jack Wrote: Very odd. Maybe they're planning an extended release down the line.

But I doubt it!

~resists urge to once again bash Universal for their lack of vision~ Haha.
Not odd at all. Anyone who is a soundtrack fan of virtually any film will usually have to deal with the dilemma of unreleased music. Just look at the other Jurassic Park films. Jurassic Park was missing about 15 minutes of music from its CD release until 2013 with the digital re-release including most of it. However, even that release is still missing about 3 minutes of music (baby raptor scene, Nedry driving on the road, and the "system ready" moment). Lost World, on the other hand, is missing a TON of music. Jurassic Park 3 luckily had a composer promo leak that included almost all of the music (save for film versions of certain cues, including the full end credits). Many Giacchino score sessions leak nowadays, so I think it is honestly only a matter of time before Jurassic World does as well. It's been a year already, so it could be any time, unless someone really decides to hoard this one.

The reason why this happens? It goes back to the days of LPs and CDs. Both can only hold so much music. LPs could only hold about 40 minutes (both sides total) whereas CDs hold less than 80 (but that is really pushing the limit on space, so usually they would be closer to 70).

Jurassic Park had a generous album of 70 minutes when it was originally released, although it did oddly feature "End Credits" twice (both at the end of the album and also within "Welcome To Jurassic Park", virtually identical). I was always mad that the space of over 3 minutes was wasted on essentially a copy/paste job when it could have gone to one of the other cues of variety. Lost World also had close to 70 minutes. Jurassic Park 3 had a mere 50 (excluding the pointless song inclusion), and the reason for that was because they decided to make it a "enhanced CD" with bonus content you can access on the computer. It was an unfortunate trend back in the day, and the space it took forced the album to be trimmed down. I believe that is why the promo for it leaked, since it's clear Davis had to chop down his score significantly to fit it in the parameters. He probably leaked it himself, for all we know (I remember his official site used to feature tracks from it, in low quality however). If you have never heard the promo album, do yourself a favor and look for it. You may appreciate the score far more. Jurassic World is actually the lengthiest OST of any of the films at 76 minutes. There is essentially no room for any additional music at this limit, so I actually commend Giacchino for fitting as much music as he could.

So CD limits are one big reason why this happens. But you are probably thinking, in this current digital world, why not always offer additional tracks for sale for iTunes versions and the like, especially when they always get released at the same time? Well, part of that may also have to do with rights. These days, there's all sorts of fees and licenses that have to be sorted out for film scores. It isn't as simple as a regular band: film scores feature many, many performers. I'm not going to pretend I know about how this particular side of it all works, but let's just say it can definitely get in the way of things. The other reason? Composers don't always WANT all their music out there.

John Williams is the biggest culprit of this. Despite modern digital releases, as noted, Jurassic Park is still missing about 3 minutes from its 2013 reissue. Why? If you notice, two of the tracks that were reintroduced actually contained more than one cue. "Coming Storm" contains three cues actually: Coming Storm, T-Rex Jeep Chase, and the Amber Mine/Dig Site music, in that order. OUT OF ORDER, as you can tell. Williams likes to make "musical experiences" with his albums that flow as organically as he deems necessary. Virtually every single album he has ever done arranges tracks out of film order, combines tracks that don't belong in the same context, and even cuts out little bits (called "micro editing") to improve the flow. And of course, entire tracks are nowhere to be found, even IF space is not an issue.

I think it comes down to the fact that composers are required to make whatever amount of music is needed from the director for any given film. It is their job to score the film as much as the director wants it to be scored. This can also lead to re-doing entire cues for the sake of a director wanting something different, or even the composer giving the director some options. When this particular event happens, cues on the album may not always be quite the same, despite being for the same scene in the film. You'll get an album version that is different. Why? Because for whatever reason, the composer chose to use that version on their album release. Perhaps they liked their original idea better, and not what the director had them change it to? In the end, it all comes down to what the composer wants represented: and that does not equal to represent it ALL. Even expanded releases of Williams scores from niche labels like La-La-Land Records can sometimes be subject to omitting things thanks to the desires of Williams. Their release of "Hook" is one such example (although from what I hear that release had other issues unrelated to Williams). In the end, with certain composers more than others, it is about what THEY want released. It is their music afterall. I'm sure he just wants to represent what HE thinks is the best of his music. He is honestly a very modest guy, from what I know, so it isn't out of spite for fans. He likely just thinks a lot of what he is asked to do is "filler" for the film, and he simply just wants to represent his personal best moments. The problem with that is fans have different ideas of what they think those really are.

Hence why there is still missing music from Jurassic Park. The three missing minutes in question came from three missing cues, and I tried to think of how Williams would combine them into one track like he usually attempts to since they are relatively short. It simply wouldn't work. So likely, in his mind, there was no reason to include any of them, despite the opportunity to do so. Is it a loss for fans? Of course it is. But Williams simply doesn't see it that way.

So what does this all mean? It means, thanks to limitations of space, monetary rights, and personal composer preference, all the music you hear in ANY film will likely never be fully represented on an album, unless a later "expanded" release pops up in the future, or a session/promo is unofficially leaked. Otherwise, like the video at the top of this thread, we are forced to hear this music more clearly from the film by isolating surround sound channels, which sadly leave in sound effects and even voices sometimes.

It is frustrating for film music fans in a way no other genre of music really has to go through. You hear a song on the radio? You can buy it! You see a music video? You can buy the song made for that, too! But film scores? "I believe the phrase is... results may vary..."
My guess is that certain elements may have been recorded later in the process after most of the film had already been scored and the CDs went into pressing.

What makes me more curious is why the music at the end of the soundtrack is on there. I haven't listened to it in a while, but there's a very celebratory, circus-like track near the end of the CD that I don't recall hearing in the film.
That was very informative. Thanks!
Excellent summary for something I knew nothing about. I did not know that happened, kinda brutal.