Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Did Hoskins and Dr. Wu purposefully plan the incident?
Your thoughts? I think it's a possibility.
I don't think it's what was intended in the film, but I absolutely love the idea that Hoskins had something to do with it. Wu, not so much. I think Wu is just misguided, drunk on his own success — not a true villain. The look on his face when Hoskins tells him the park is pretty much doomed says it all. I reckon Wu's arc will see him redeem himself at some point during the trilogy. (Said redemption probably swiftly followed by some version of his fate in the book, unfortunately.)

Hoskins, though... I think it would've worked very well in the film if he had been directly responsible for the Indominus's escape. I don't think he would've intended for people to die, just to kick-start his plans for the Velociraptors. And just while we're on the subject, I think it might've elevated Hoskins's character a little if Owen's training was absolutely not working — if Owen and the new guy had barely made it out alive at the beginning — but he went for the field test anyway.

That was a bit rambling, but I have a lot of thoughts on this. I just think Vincent D'Onofrio was a little wasted in Jurassic World — he could've knocked a darker Hoskins out of the park.
@JHNMCHLTNR | The JHN behind @thejhnfiles. Patiently waiting for Jurassic Park to become a reality.
Personally, I think they did work together for the downfall of the park. Let me start with this...

Wu and Hoskins/whoever Hoskins was really working for obviously had ties together. Hoskins definitely had a plan in play which you can infer via his phone call. Later, we know there's a bit more to the story because Wu escapes directly with Hoskins' team and will be "Well taken care of". So these are a few items we see on the surface to be true. 

My headcanon dives a little deeper, inferring things that may or may not be true. There could have been a play between Wu and Hoskins to insert certain genes to create this ultimate dinosaur, not for crowd enthusiasm, but for something more. The Indominous may have been created specifically to cause havoc in the park, create the downfall, with the intent to get Hoskins in charge. He wanted to run the show, that's obvious. He was certainly giddy when he saw the chaos ensue over main street with the Pteranodons. He flat out smiled. Everything was in his hands at that moment, but he underestimated the bond between beast and man. 

I could probably go on for a while, but I'll quit right here. So yes, I think they had more in common than we'd expect.
(07-14-2016, 04:03 PM)JurassicParkPodcast Wrote: Personally, I think they did work together for the downfall of the park. Let me start with this...

Wu and Hoskins/whoever Hoskins was really working for obviously had ties together. Hoskins definitely had a plan in play which you can infer via his phone call. Later, we know there's a bit more to the story because Wu escapes directly with Hoskins' team and will be "Well taken care of". So these are a few items we see on the surface to be true. 

My headcanon dives a little deeper, inferring things that may or may not be true. There could have been a play between Wu and Hoskins to insert certain genes to create this ultimate dinosaur, not for crowd enthusiasm, but for something more. The Indominous may have been created specifically to cause havoc in the park, create the downfall, with the intent to get Hoskins in charge. He wanted to run the show, that's obvious. He was certainly giddy when he saw the chaos ensue over main street with the Pteranodons. He flat out smiled. Everything was in his hands at that moment, but he underestimated the bond between beast and man. 

I could probably go on for a while, but I'll quit right here. So yes, I think they had more in common than we'd expect.

So many possibilities! Whatever the case, it definitely adds a nice little something to the story to imagine that there was something more going on. — Smile
@JHNMCHLTNR | The JHN behind @thejhnfiles. Patiently waiting for Jurassic Park to become a reality.
Yea, I think it's ok to infer certain things from a film. It definitely makes things more interesting and adds a bit of depth. If Wu was just an incompetent scientist, it would be a much lamer story.
I have a slightly different opinion on Hoskin's character arc. You two make some good points, but as with any of this we as fans are sometimes forced to infer things.

The way I see Vic Hoskins is as a guy who took advantage of a situation. I don't think he would ever purposefully plan such a tragic endeavor, nor do I think that was ever his intention... Hoskin's was cynical for sure and power hungry, kind of like wanting to be the head honcho, but not havign the moxy to ever make it. He was the Beta to Owen Grady (who of course was the Alpha).

Hoskins favored violence to solve problems and of course had some type of military related background. He certainly knew more about the ultimate goal for the Velociraptors and Project I.B.R.I.S than he led on. I also suspect he knew much more about the Indominus as well, btu never intended for it to escape and utterly slaughter a dozen or so people. Most likely (in my mind) he fronted the research for the militarization of dinosaurs and genetics in general as a new theme park attraction on the outside (BIGGER, LOUDER, MORE TEETH), and was secretly working within InGen on the progress to his end goal, which was probably becoming the project leader for trained dinosaurs to be used in the military.

Hoskins may have been excited to basically go to war against the Indominus from a pure instinctual perspective, hence his smirky bastard like 
smile while on the helipad, but I think this is more of his personality than it is ultimate evil or bad will.

Dr. Wu did not have bad intentions either. I would argue that he is far less cynical than Hoskins and was just guilty of his own hubris. He believes that God is in the science and he can control it, so anything is possible. Wu likes to innovate and push boundaries and Hoskins fed on this side of him. Hammond of course knew Henry's genius and propensity to respond positively to challenges (as long as he was given the resources to do so) and I think Masrani saw this in Henry as well. 

I agree though that Wu's own hubris will probably be the end of him. I fully suspected Wu to be killed off in JW, but to my pleasant surprise he was not! It ended up being Masrani instead.  

Now, for the "being taken care of, right?" part, I think we don't know what this means yet for certain. Is it compensation, immunity, or another secret lab with full founding? Maybe its all of the above! I am really hoping the sequel provides some answers for this.
(07-14-2016, 06:10 PM)Anonymous Wrote: Most likely (in my mind) he fronted the research for the militarization of dinosaurs and genetics in general as a new theme park attraction on the outside (BIGGER, LOUDER, MORE TEETH), and was secretly working within InGen on the progress to his end goal, which was probably becoming the project leader for trained dinosaurs to be used in the military.

Yeah, I think this is more than likely what was actually going on. 

The problem with it, in my mind, is that it seems incredibly stupid to put these animals on display if you're planning to eventually use them in the military. Take the Indominus, for example — nobody knew the extent of what that thing could do because it was so new, but if it was on display at the park, people would start to figure its abilities out, completely undermining any element of surprise. As much as I was dead against the military ever getting involved in Jurassic, I'm interested to see where this all goes in future films.
That's the great thing though, since the film didn't give a definitive answer we all can reach our own conclusions about their possible involvement.

(07-14-2016, 06:37 PM)JHNMCHLTNR Wrote: Yeah, I think this is more than likely what was actually going on.

The problem with it, in my mind, is that it seems incredibly stupid to put these animals on display if you're planning to eventually use them in the military. Take the Indominus, for example — nobody knew the extent of what that thing could do because it was so new, but if it was on display at the park, people would start to figure its abilities out, completely undermining any element of surprise. As much as I was dead against the military ever getting involved in Jurassic, I'm interested to see where this all goes in future films.
You're right and Masrani would've nevered sign to make the hybrid a weapon. And the only way to avoid Masrani was to cause chaos by making the hybrid so dangerous it could plan it's own escape.
I don't think that they purposefully planned the Indominus to break out and kill people. Hoskins at least is very much taking advantage of the situation though. It's also clear that he and Wu have something going on under the table, though it isn't clear precisely what that is yet. To me, Wu's motives are less clear, but given the fact that he plans to keep the embryos on generators and seems at least mildly surprised to hear that the Indominus can hide from thermal imaging seems to suggest he doesn't know the full extent of Hoskins' plan. Another thing that's not too clear is InGen's role in the whole thing, and what Hoskins' role is within it and whether his plans are to benefit InGen or some other organization. I hope JW2 explains all this.
I do hope the next film explains everything that went on in JW too. Whether they planned it or not, I will accept the true answer. Right now both are possible to me.